Map Descriptions Detail is Poor...

TomTom Model(s)
It took me a while to finally figure out that I need NOT purchase BOTH the Southeast USA map set AND the North America map set. I'm assuming the "Southeast" is a subset of the North America set given the smaller size of the Southeast, lower price and same map version number. This isn't explained all that well in the "details" for each set.

Also, I finally figured out that I have v.710.1584.1584, which obviously ISN'T the most current map set. However, I'd like to know how much older the data is compared to the 8.15.2019 map set, i.e., why not put the release dates in the "details" section. Also, if I purchase the 8.15.2019 today, then what happens if TT releases an even NEWER version (like 9.15?) 45 days from now... am I just screwed for not waiting another 45 days?

Finally... have I just been wasting my time reporting all the map corrections over the past two months on the old North America mapset v710.1584.1584? I'm hoping that most, if not ALL of the corrections that I transmitted were probably already updated in the current 8.15 version, right? So then, why even bother to let those using an outdated map set send in corrections?

Finally, I'm somewhat frustrated that I purchased a refurbished unit on E-Bay and assumed that it had current map sets- the listing said that it had. However, I'm guessing that, like another poster on these boards, I was supposed to download the new mapset within 30 days. I believe that the device should have automatically indicated, via an onscreen message, that I had 30 days to update. Simply placing a notice inside the box, which was NOT a part of the user manual or indicated on the enclosed CD, is NOT enough. I am thankful, however, that the update is currently 30% off on sale. But... if TT comes out with a newer version in the next few months, I'm really going to be angry!

Sorry for the length, but any "enlightening" comments will be appreciated- thanks!

Reading your post, I was feeling pain for you at first but since I read "I purchased a refurbished unit on E-Bay" I start understanding more.
Lesson for you, firstly, do not expect getting fully support from Tomtom when buying on Ebay; secondly, do not expect anything GOOD out of refurbished one.
Lastly, put it back on Ebay, keep your mouth shut (meanning providing no info on the unit as your seller did to you), lure some buyer to get rid of your device. Now buy a brandnew device, call CSR and complaint about maps, navcore, .....

Reading your post, I was feeling pain for you at first but since I read "I purchased a refurbished unit on E-Bay" I start understanding more.
Lesson for you, firstly, do not expect getting fully support from Tomtom when buying on Ebay; secondly, do not expect anything GOOD out of refurbished one.
Lastly, put it back on Ebay, keep your mouth shut (meanning providing no info on the unit as your seller did to you), lure some buyer to get rid of your device. Now buy a brandnew device, call CSR and complaint about maps, navcore, .....

While I'd be very cautious about grabbing a reburbed TT via eBay my refurbed 720 from Amazon is working like a charm as are most of those that are sold, based on reviews. I haven't had a reason to call support yet, though I likely will to obtain my LMG before my 30 days are out.

Had Windscents read the discussions here earlier his issues would have been resolved.

Forums like these are extremely valuable and I've learned that there are many users on them that are much more knowledgeable than the actual customer support.

To Windscents.....

You will notice I removed your recent posts. It is YOU who were out of line with what you said.

Why don't YOU do yourself a favour (and others as well) by examining the various threads and observe that there is NO flaming here.

As it happens, Piano's comments were precisely correct about tomtom purchases on ebay. There are plenty of posts in various threads on this forum from purchasers who found out (the hard way) that TomTom would NOT provide the LMG for units bought from unauthorized dealers, meaning EVERYBODY who sells on ebay.

Some have had good experiences buying on ebay, like castironchef (and he noted that in his response). The difference between his reponse and yours is he did not go off half cocked like you did.

We have plenty of disagreements among posters on this Board and that is fine. Everyone is entitled to his or opinion. It's just there is a proper way to express one's disagreement.

If and when you learn that, then feel free to join in. Otherwise, perhaps you should take your opinions elsewhere.

To Windscents.....

Some have had good experiences buying on ebay, like castironchef (and he noted that in his response). The difference between his reponse and yours is he did not go off half cocked like you did.

Just a quick clarification-I am indeed a great proponent of eBay but purchased my refurb from Amazon. (authorized dealer) Glad I missed whatever qualified for deletion in prior posts.

Refurbished units are GREAT units, when purchased from an authorized dealer. I myself would never purchase a refurb from ebay. The sellers on there use that term very loosely. On ebay, you have to question "WHO" refurbished the product. The worst is with laptops and pretty much most electronics.

If you buy a Dell laptop from ebay for example that says refurbished, people immediately get comfortable and think "yay it's refurbished by Dell" when really, the seller himself took apart the laptop and probably rigged it himself to get it to boot/work for a while or just cleaned it out. He could have also just glued back on a piece of plastic that fell off and called it refurbished, while the internals are in poor condition with not much life left.

Ask a Question