Map 7.20 anyonw tryed it?

I recently got the 720 maps. I cant comment too much except that when i search in Toronto. it searches all of york, east, north etc etc... VERY USEFUL

I like the speed limits on the roads, on the 7.20 version. Also, if you have a One with SD card, and you drive primarily within a regional area, you can download the more detailed version of the maps that were intended for the 720/920/Rider2 devices, and get all that extra detail and POI on the map.
Works nicely, and if you have enough SD space, you can switch back to your USA map if you leave the region.

Those poi files don't have any extra map detail, just lots and lots more pois. that said even the larger files don't have everything and at the moment I'm in Maine and in the last two days two of my important destinations were more than two kiometres off and in the wrong direction!

I really like my tomtom, but I've never been able to be completely confident in any of their poi databases as they often bite you big time. :(

as I said once here before ....never, ever brag to anyone about how neat the tomtom is. those times seem to be always the time the poi is non existent or completely wrong. :(

Those poi files don't have any extra map detail, just lots and lots more pois. that said even the larger files don't have everything and at the moment I'm in Maine and in the last two days two of my important destinations were more than two kiometres off and in the wrong direction!

I really like my tomtom, but I've never been able to be completely confident in any of their poi databases as they often bite you big time. :(

as I said once here before ....never, ever brag to anyone about how neat the tomtom is. those times seem to be always the time the poi is non existent or completely wrong. :(
I was running low on gas and used the TT to find the closest gas station. It guided me in circle of about 5 miles. If I had driven straight ahead I would have gotten to the exact same gas station much sooner. I was showing-off the TT at the time. Never again :-(

I wasn't referring to the POI files. I was referring to the more detailed 720/920/Rider regional map files, or are you suggesting that the differences between the larger map files for the 920 vs the One map files are entirely due to the POI data? I believe that the actual maps are more detailed on the higher-end model maps, showing significantly more detail, but I have not personally confirmed this.

The wife and I recently drove from Fredericton to Lake PLacid, Toronto, Niagara Falls, Quebec then back home with the 720 maps. I have nothing but praise for the accuracy of the maps. There was only one instance in all that driving that I noticed a small mistake in the maps. POI's were way off, but thats not unusual for ANY maps I have tried.

I have no complaint with the later maps. excellent point to point navigation. it's the poi's that let me down.

I wasn't referring to the POI files. I was referring to the more detailed 720/920/Rider regional map files, or are you suggesting that the differences between the larger map files for the 920 vs the One map files are entirely due to the POI data? I believe that the actual maps are more detailed on the higher-end model maps, showing significantly more detail, but I have not personally confirmed this.

my bad, I thought you were referring to those files. from the maps I've had a chance to see the north american versions have had the most detail. the maps on my one were cut down versions of those maps, both in detail and in poi quantity. there is more data on the later maps for the one, but still not as good as the later north america versions due to the limitation on the one internal memory.

I have no complaint with the later maps. excellent point to point navigation. it's the poi's that let me down.

my bad, I thought you were referring to those files. from the maps I've had a chance to see the north american versions have had the most detail. the maps on my one were cut down versions of those maps, both in detail and in poi quantity. there is more data on the later maps for the one, but still not as good as the later north america versions due to the limitation on the one internal memory.

No problem. I am curious, though, if the difference between the One and 920/720 regional maps is ONLY the POI data, or whether there is also a mapping detail difference.

I have the 920's V7.20 map for the Alaska-Canada region loaded on my One, together with the standard USA_Canada map (V7.10), and while their is a lot more detail on the regional 920 map, I'd like to compare it to the Alaska-Canada V7.20 map for the One, which is significantly smaller than the 920 version.

Does anyone have a V7.20 Alaska-Canada map for the One loaded?

We could compare screenshots of an address to see the differences (if any)

If there are none, then it would appear that the file size differences are entirely due to the extra POI data, and not the maps themselves.

No problem. I am curious, though, if the difference between the One and 920/720 regional maps is ONLY the POI data, or whether there is also a mapping detail difference.

I have the 920's V7.20 map for the Alaska-Canada region loaded on my One, together with the standard USA_Canada map (V7.10), and while their is a lot more detail on the regional 920 map, I'd like to compare it to the Alaska-Canada V7.20 map for the One, which is significantly smaller than the 920 version.

Does anyone have a V7.20 Alaska-Canada map for the One loaded?

We could compare screenshots of an address to see the differences (if any)

If there are none, then it would appear that the file size differences are entirely due to the extra POI data, and not the maps themselves.

My understanding is that regional maps are simply portions of the NA map. As for the size differences, don't forget those speech recognition files (those used to recognize voice input cspeech_XX.dat) they are big (over 400MB for NA) and useless to ONE models that don't have a microphone.

My understanding is that regional maps are simply portions of the NA map. As for the size differences, don't forget those speech recognition files (those used to recognize voice input cspeech_XX.dat) they are big (over 400MB for NA) and useless to ONE models that don't have a microphone.

The regional 920 V7.20 map that I have, has significantly more detail than the TT1 V7.10 USA-Canada map, so unless the 920 maps are indeed more detailed than the equivalent TT1's, the regional maps are more detailed than the USA_Canada.

I have compared the regional to my USA_Canada, and it shows building outlines , more water detail and other stuff, that the USA_Canada map does not have.

The regional 920 V7.20 map that I have, has significantly more detail than the TT1 V7.10 USA-Canada map, so unless the 920 maps are indeed more detailed than the equivalent TT1's, the regional maps are more detailed than the USA_Canada.

I have compared the regional to my USA_Canada, and it shows building outlines , more water detail and other stuff, that the USA_Canada map does not have.

GO 720 and 920 as well as 730 and 930 map details are the same (excluding IQ and ALG data) and more detailed than ONE model maps. The street and highways are identical as to their presence but the GO models will show more details. I've seen a documentary on the making of maps by Tele Atlas and Tele Atlas accumulates a lot of data, more than we can see on our TTs. The problem is getting all this data and system to fit on our TT's internal memory of 1GB, 2GB or 4GB and TT needs to select and drop some of this data and compress it while still maintaining our system usable. Tele Atlas has not covered all of North America and most probably has purchased many parts from different digital map suppliers. A Tele Atlas rep said they had enough data in some parts to make the street outlook as real as some racing games. If we had small, light and cheap terabyte storage, we could have quite an experience navigating! ?Yes officer, I saw the green traffic light on my Tomtom but forgot to check reality!? ;-)

GO 720 and 920 as well as 730 and 930 map details are the same (excluding IQ and ALG data) and more detailed than ONE model maps.

....that's what I thought you had had doubts about, when I mentioned I had the more detailed 920 (regional) map loaded on my One, and you said that the POI data was the only difference, and not the maps themselves. :)

Ask a Question