Lost map data

TomTom Model(s)
tomtom one 2nd edition
Hi,

I haven't used my TomTom One 2nd Edition recently and have been concerned about battery life. Yesterday I plugged the TT into my PC to charge the battery and this prompted a message on the screen to update TT Home. I updated to TT Home 2, which is when my problems started.

When trying to operate the TT from the PC, I found that it couldn't find the map data. Unfortunately, I haven't backed up the device for some time and there wasn't an image on the PC or any back-up device. However, I was using a copied SD card and I still had the original TT SD card in the box. No problem I thought! BUT when the original SD card was plugged in I found it to had no map data???

My understanding is that this model is now out of date and unsupported, which probably means it is now a brick?? Or is there a way to obtain a copy of the original map data from TT or any other source?

Note: it seems that updating the software caused this problem, since the TT was working correctly before the update.

Other details:
S/N: E22516G02209
Map: United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland_5CB61EFD.mds
Note Map is showing 49 bytes now!

There isn't a way to get a copy of the original map from TT or other sources, sorry.

When the unit is connected to Home and you go to Manage my Device (2nd screen), Items on device-->maps, what does it show?

How about Items on Computer-->maps, does it show anythere there?

In situations like this it's very rare that it's turned into an actual "brick"... as a last resort you can always buy a new map for it. The question would be whether it would be worth it for an old device.

It seems very unlikely that you've actually lost the map off the original card too, so it's more likely the unit just can't find the maps that ARE there really.

Try the suggestions in the following topic, especially the "Clearflash" item (# 4), as that is often a fix for "no maps found" messages.
Old-style TomTom Acting Up? - Part 1 - First Steps In System Recovery

Also, you only mentioned updating the HOME software on the PC, did you actually do any updating of the device after that?

If so, did you see any mention on-screen of what it was doing?

Hi Andy_P,

Sorry for the long delay in responding to your last message.
After delving very deep into my disk archive, I eventually found an old backup, which rescued the situation regarding the lost map data.

I am not sure why the data was lost, but this seems to be when the PC was updating to TomTom Home 2. This update didn't go smoothly and wasn't very successful, although a second attempt appears OK. By the way, my PC is running XP and this is what I use on a daily basis.

Regarding the original SD card supplied by TomTom, when I checked it, the result was 'Not Formatted?' Since this check I have reformatted the card and saved my original back-up using this same card, without any problem. Now I have managed to make a number of back-ups, so should be safe in the future.

Since this 'PROBLEM' I have thought about the cause of loosing the map data and believe it may have been caused by the TomTom battery being low or discharged. This is a problem I have had since the device was fairly new. I even changed the battery once, but this didn't cure the fault. Recently I used the TT on a journey and with the charger plugged in, it crashed out with a flat battery after about 2 hours.

On the above result, I assumed the TT charger wasn't supplying enough current and decided to use a new USB device plugged into the car. Today and last week I have had the TT charging from the USB and it remained on for well over 4 hours and it seems the charging problem has been resolved. It appears the TT charger (5V at 2A) is duff and the USB (5V at 1A) produces adequate current?

Has anybody else had charging problems?

My TT now works well and I can now use my favoured narrow lanes with grass growing in the middle again.

Good to hear you got it sorted (mainly by your own efforts!)

It appears the TT charger (5V at 2A) is duff and the USB (5V at 1A) produces adequate current?
Has anybody else had charging problems?

Some of the older ones with a fixed cable have died, often catastrophically, but I haven't heard of any newer USB ones going bad

My TT now works well and I can now use my favoured narrow lanes with grass growing in the middle again.

HehHeh... that made me chuckle! I assume it was rather tongue-in-cheek?
My wife calls those roads "TomTom highways" :)

Some of the older ones with a fixed cable have died, often catastrophically, but I haven't heard of any newer USB ones going bad
@canderson,
For future reference, have you had one of the permanently wired CLA chargers open?
Just wonder if mine bites the dust if I could splice it with a regular USB cable to use with USB CLAs.

Worst scenario would be to remove the plug from the cradle and use it in the car.

No, haven't had reason to crack open a hardwired version.

However, there's no reason you couldn't add a fresh USB-A connector to your old cable as you suggest if the time comes. The splice may prove easier than soldering, that's for sure.

Ask a Question