Lost Address Book on Go 720

Any one know how to upload a address book? My 720 connected with my Blackberry and uploaded my address book with names and numbers. Since TomTom Home updated my system the address book now only contains phone numbers and no names. I am not real good with computers so if there is a way I need a step by step process.

Thanks in Advance

There is - this was the result of a recent (and dumb) application upgrade. If you had the name and numbers there, they still would be. But if you repaired it - only the numbers come now.

The file is on the device in the contacts folder - contacts.txt. It should have a list by "name","number" . If it does not have the "name", then add it at the beginning of each line. You can use Windows notepad, word, etc to edit it.

Note - before doing anything, make a copy of your device with windows explorer (set "Files" to show hidden files and folders) first. Then if you mess up the file, you can move a fresh copy over and try again.

Edit - you might be able to copy a like named file from a backup if you had done this before, that is what I ended up doing.

Last edited:
Thank you

I tried talking with TomTom and they had no idea of what happened. I just copied the "Contact" file to my TomTom... I would have never figured it out.

Bob:)

The file is in the contacts folder on the device. If you have made a backup and you had this set up before, you can just copy it over.

If not, you can edit names in after you load your phone book (which now apparently only brings over the numbers). See my earlier post for the file format.

GO 720 Address Book

Being a Newbie, how do I actually access it? What are the steps? Does the 720 have some type of file explorer?

1 Connect to your computer, and then do a windows backup (copy and pase the device to a folder) with windoes set to sjhow hidden files and folders.

if you have never doen this, then you don't have a backup - unless you have installed Home and doen a backup with Home.

2. With Windows explorer (after you have done the backup), opne the "contacts' fiolder.

3. It should have a file called "contacts.txt". Open it, and you will probably see a list of phone numbers (if you have paired the device and tried to copy the phone book previously) as "number" .

4. Edit the file with Workpad and add "names", in front of the "numbers".

5. Save the file, and disconnect the device from the computer.

It should boot up - and now go to you device under manage your phone and see if the names-numbers are there..

I have an automatic system backup on my computer. Is that sufficient?
It would be in the rare instance where a) you had the TT connected and live as b) your backup software scanned for new files, and c) had specified the drive letter of your TT as one of the drives to be backed up. Sounds like a one in a million bet to me, but ... go and look.

If not - you may have to do it the long way (long depends on how many names are missing - not really hard otherwise).

Lost Address on GO 720

Ouch! I have a ton of numbers on my address book and it would take me days to manually insert the name of the person before the number. Isn't there a way that I can go back to an earlier version, before the application upgrade?

I have this issue, when I look at the text file I see the number, followed by "default".

Do I have to put "name" or the name of each contact in front? That would be pretty tough considering how many I have. And do I have to do a re-import? There is literally nothing but the number and the word "default". I just put "name" on a whim to see if that would work, I see "name" and then the number. There is no way in hell I'm gonna go in and individually "fix" these. LOL.

Ouch! I have a ton of numbers on my address book and it would take me days to manually insert the name of the person before the number. Isn't there a way that I can go back to an earlier version, before the application upgrade?

Yes -only if you have a backup of the device - specifically the contacts folder. Use explorer to search - but if you updated and never did a backup previously - ouch is right!

Unless TT releases an application update that would handle it correctly. then you would re-pair the device and all would be well.

That brings to mind one other solution (only if you got your names and numbers downloaded from your paired device initially).

1. Copy to Computer your current TT application with Home.

2. Delete the application with Home - AFTER you do # 1.

3. Have Home update your device and see what app it wants to download first. If it is an earlier version then you just deleted, let it do so.

4. Otherwise, you will have to manually install (copy and paste a manually downloaded application - 8.01 or earlier should work - see forum for instructions).

5. I think you may have to re-pair your device with all the names/numbers (unless there is a TomTom phone menu item that will simply let you download them again).

Check to be sure they are all downloaded OK after you repair the device and copy over the phone book again. Then make a backup of AT LEAST the contacts folder on your TT.

Either leave it well enough alone, or if you have downloaded 815 maps (or are wanting to), you will have to update the application to 8.3 again. You could do this by deleting the older application, and then install the application sopied to computer/then deleted appication back with Home. I think when you do, the contact file MAY be OK. I had to re-pair mine after I upgraded the app for other reasons, so I am not sure.

If the names ARE missing - copy back over the contact file you created and saved.

Changing the apps and re-pairing would only be a 10-15 minute job IF you are careful and know what you are doing (the forum is full of help with this). The editing fix is again a function of how many names and how much time...

Lost Address Book

Here's a thought. What if you remove the old software, and then install the original software, basically starting up the unit as you did when you got it out of the box? Then, when you pair your phone to the unit, after which you transfer your phone address book, you'll have both the names and numbers in the unit. Then if you back up the unit, and create a new folder, you can copy your contacts and place them into the new folder. Then you can install the most recent software, after which you can substitute the old contacts in the new folder into the updated contacts folder. Am I making sense?

Here's a thought. What if you remove the old software, and then install the original software, basically starting up the unit as you did when you got it out of the box? Then, when you pair your phone to the unit, after which you transfer your phone address book, you'll have both the names and numbers in the unit. Then if you back up the unit, and create a new folder, you can copy your contacts and place them into the new folder. Then you can install the most recent software, after which you can substitute the old contacts in the new folder into the updated contacts folder. Am I making sense?

Yes you are - basically what I was outlining.

For a new user, it may look a little daunting though.

Yes you are - basically what I was outlining.

For a new user, it may look a little daunting though.

It worked. I now have the updated version plus the phone book with both the names and numbers. Many thanks for all your input, assistance and help. Happy New Year.

Ask a Question