Looking For An Enhancement For My Go

I use my TomTom Go for business. I am wondering if anyone out there has heard of OR if TomTom might possibly be considering a "highlighting" enhancement. I run an ice cream truck business. When you deliver to neighborhoods and such it's important to cover all the streets..... has anyone heard of a "highlighter tool." Put simply, I envision it "highlighting" the streets you've already driven in a color (let's say bright yellow) as an aid to making sure you've covered all the streets in one area.

I know it might sound a little crazy but I think this feature could help any number of folks -- safety personnel doing a block by block search; delivery people (think of phone books) or, in my case, ice cream sales.

Is this like too way out there or has anybody heard of an aftermarket, independent "shareware" type of program that might provide this feature. If so, please feel free to email me at : (e-mail address removed)

I use my TomTom Go for business. I am wondering if anyone out there has heard of OR if TomTom might possibly be considering a "highlighting" enhancement. I run an ice cream truck business. When you deliver to neighborhoods and such it's important to cover all the streets..... has anyone heard of a "highlighter tool." Put simply, I envision it "highlighting" the streets you've already driven in a color (let's say bright yellow) as an aid to making sure you've covered all the streets in one area.

I know it might sound a little crazy but I think this feature could help any number of folks -- safety personnel doing a block by block search; delivery people (think of phone books) or, in my case, ice cream sales.

Is this like too way out there or has anybody heard of an aftermarket, independent "shareware" type of program that might provide this feature. If so, please feel free to email me at : (e-mail address removed)
Doesn't exist for the TomTom, but is currently being used by some Census folks as I understand the new handheld game they're playing.

In your case, I think I'd set up a series of "Itinerary" waypoints that caused you to cover all of the ground you need to cover. Would accomplish the same thing by having you turn at each appropriate intersection to do your "grid" or however you manage it. You can then save the itinerary (or more than one) and execute them as you need to.

I think what you're probably talking about is similar to a function common to many of the Garmin devices. On those, you have the option of displaying your "track", or a contrasting on-screen path showing your travels.
On my 760 for instance, I can choose to "show" my tracks on the map screen, which when active leaves a blue trail on all roads I have driven. Haven't seen that function on devices from other manufacturers, tho it's always possible someone besides Garmin offers it.

I agree with the "canderson" approach because with that you'd plan your route vs. driving around semi-intentionally trying to make sure you don't re-trace a road or roads too many times.

Even with tracing/marking your path you could easily wind up with some unintentional re-tracing/back-tracking just due to unplanned route(s), and toward the end of that route may see some roads you missed then have to find your way back (over already-covered roads) to get to them. But if you layed it all out on a map ahead of time, then entered the route as an Itinerary, you could prevent most of those situations.

The "canderson" approach should do wonders toward not missing any roads, and reduce back-tracking too. And you can do that today without enhancements.

Maybe there's some computer program which would "create a route which covers every street in a subdivision with minimal distance and minimal re-tracing" but that's pretty specialized, and thus probably rare and expensive, if it exists. Dunno. Maybe others will know...

Meanwhile, you have a way to get the job done with the tools you have now.

Ask a Question