Looking at a Rider 400

TomTom Model(s)
Hi there,

I've just read a complimentary review on the Rider 400 in "RIDE" magazine.

It does however criticise the lack of live services - but adds you can get them if paired with a smartphone. Anyone have experience of what's involved / how effective this is?

Also, as well as motorcycle use I'd like to get the car kit, too. It is clear the Rider 400 has Bluetooth...but not whether it has an internal speaker (just to check!)

Thanks
Rob

Don't know about the Rider but North American GO 500/600 get their life traffic via the data connection of their cell phone.

Hi there,

I've just read a complimentary review on the Rider 400 in "RIDE" magazine.

It does however criticise the lack of live services - but adds you can get them if paired with a smartphone. Anyone have experience of what's involved / how effective this is?

Also, as well as motorcycle use I'd like to get the car kit, too. It is clear the Rider 400 has Bluetooth...but not whether it has an internal speaker (just to check!)

Thanks
Rob

I have the Rider 400. It does use a cell phone connection to get the live services. Mine currently cannot receive the live services as there is an issue when pairing with an iPhone using IOS 8. The unit seems very good with some good route planning options on the unit itself. However, currently you cannot load a route directly from Tyre to the unit. It is necessary to save the file to a memory card and then place the memory card in the Rider 400. Tweezers are needed to remove the memory card. There is no option to use the mobile phone via the Rider 400. It has been suggested elsewhere that the phone option will be added and that proper interfacing with Tyre will be enabled. Hopefully the Bluetooth issue with IOS 8 will also be resolved one way or another.

just recently got Rider 400,Yes It does have internal speaker,thro not that loud.i use a HTC m8 android smartphone for live services via Bluetooth hotspot tethering and works well.Hands Free Calling added at last software update,but have got issues with pairing with Headset(Sena SMH5). and smartphone.
Still recommend Rider400

Run away!
Get a Garmin.
The Rider 400 is slow at pointing out where u r, and then it seems to learn, and then it goes fast. in each case you end up taking the wrong turn.
Updating the maps is a joke on the road. The best I have managed is in 9hrs, and that require me to sit there all the time an watch and fix the issues.
You will never know where you are. TomTom will, but they never give you the GPS co-ordinates.
As for route planning. hahahahahaha. if u have trouble planning how to ride the same two points then the Rider may be for you. it is supposed to learn where u ride and when u ride those routes. for those who ride new routes every day, this is as much use as, well fill in the rest yourself.
Talking of points of interest. you better have a huge data plan on your phone, because TomTom needs that to find any POI
Developed by cafe racers for cafe racers, not for riders

Ask a Question