Looking at an XL340TM

TomTom Model(s)
Rider 2
Hey gang, I am a TTR2 owner and very satisfied with it. I am now looking for a model for my daughter and after a bit of research it looks like the XL340TM is on my short list.

Just looking for some input, both positive and negative on this model. I am especially attracted to the Life Time Map feature, and the fact that the interface is very similar to my Rider2.

I do note that it (and many other models) do not give you the ability to choose between "shortest" and "fastest" route, but in this case it really isnt a big issue.

She will be using this device mainly for inner city navigation (in Canada), no huge demands placed on the unit.

Cheers,

I think the 340 does have the functionality in planning preferences for 'shortest', etc....... It does not come with the EasyMenu.

For the heck of it, check the prices of a 540TM while you are at it. Try Staples, FS and BB. Has all the 340 stuff plus a 5" screen.

BB only carries the 540S, Staples has the 540 "world traveler" and FS has the 540TM for 90 loons more than the 340TM.

Walmart doesnt seem to carry either, and CT has a very limited selection of TT devices.

I am closest to a local Staples, and Wpg is an hr away. I think the 340TM will fit the bill nicely, with a nice price tag to boot.

Of course there are other options, i.e., buying from a US internet site, but the cost diff in this case doesnt warrant this, and should there be a serious defect, I can simply whip back to Staples for a return/exchange.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Actually, I went ahead and got the 340TM. The free maps were the deciding factor.

I am as we speak setting up the device, and it is currently downloading the most current map.

Cheers!

And then you made an Explorer, not Home backup.....correct! ;)

And you have created a separate email account for the new unit from the Rider?? :p

As I have with my Rider, a HOME and Explorer backup.

And a fresh acct for the 340, check.

Cheers!
Geez, dhn has got you trained properly! ;) Any chance you could you take over the "Backup first" and "Use a new account" posts for the moderators here? I think everyone is getting tired of the way we word it by now, and we could use some fresh material :p

Just remind your daughter that HER unit isn't IPX7 water resistant like yours. No driving in the rain with the top down.

I note on the 855 map that is now on the 340 that areas of my town are included that have never showed on previous versions. This even though these areas have existed for many years.

Hmmm....how to put that 855 on my Rider....:rolleyes:

Everything went smoothly and the device is now ready for use.

Thanks for everyones comments.

Cheers

Map Share

Prior to turning the unit over to my daughter, I have been checking out POI's, etc.

It would seem that all of the Map Share updates I submitted over the past year or three did not translate to the 855 map.

I ensured that the Map Share pref was set to low (as I have it on my Rider), and it does recieved loads of updates, however none of the POI changes I have made in the past show up on the new device. I spent a good deal of time deleting/moving incorrect POI's just in our local area alone.

Odd.

Cheers!

Ask a Question