live services dead

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom Go 740
I have the TT Go740 and have lost my live service connection. I called TT and they had me send my device back into them as they thought the sim card was bad. We went through all the normal procedures for checking it out and couldnt find anything wrong on my end......I sent the unit to TT and they sent me a replacement which I received just yesterday.....I restored the backup that I did before sending my unit into them (windows explorer backup) and thought things were going to work like they were supposed to.....but I guess I was wrong, hooked the TT up in my car and plotted a destination and no service just like the original TT that i had sent back. I placed a call to TT today and of course the tech wanted me to wait a day or so and see if things started to work....Im in the Jacksonville Florida area and was wondering if anyone else in Florida or the area that I am in was having the same problem. Its telling me that I dont have an internet connection for the live services......they also checked my subscription and when they issued me the replacement TT I got another 3 month free subscription and the one that I payed for is on hold till this new free subscription runs out. I have checked just about everything that can be checked, did a warm reset, and also reset the TT back to factory settings, still no response from live services. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

When you registered your 740 with TomTom and entered an e-mail account name to the device have you ever used that e-mail address for any other TomTom product registration? - Mike

live service

Yea when I got the new TT I made sure that my email address was reassigned to the new TT......That was my first concern to make sure that my account was straight when I got the new TT. The live service problem started with my old gps.....its almost like the live service is down and cant connect. That is why I was wondering if anyone else that might live in this area had any problems.

When the first ones were shipping, I did see a few posts with the same complaint. Looked like there were a few bad apples in the first batch. In the past month or so I think I've only seen one other poster with a persisent connection failure. The odds of you getting two of those flawed devices would seem pretty high. When you tap the satellite reception icon, then click on the version number, in the right sidebar near the bottom, then click on 'Network' you should see a reception strength icon. Do you see anything indicating "Connected"?

When the first ones were shipping, I did see a few posts with the same complaint. Looked like there were a few bad apples in the first batch. In the past month or so I think I've only seen one other poster with a persisent connection failure. The odds of you getting two of those flawed devices would seem pretty high. When you tap the satellite reception icon, then click on the version number, in the right sidebar near the bottom, then click on 'Network' you should see a reception strength icon. Do you see anything indicating "Connected"?

When I click on the "network" its shows anywhere from 1 to 3 bars on the connection bars but in the status line it says "not connected"....and that is the same thing that my other TT was doing...that is why the tech at TT had me send it in so that they could check it out.....but seeing how quick they sent me the new one I dont see how they could have checked it. I sent it in on a Monday and the following Monday had the new one.....so apparently when they received my original one they shipped the new one out......

Hmmm . . it should connect by itself the first time it's turned on afaik, no account needed for that. Sure does appear you've received another bum device. So no numbers in the MSS/MMC field on the network status page?

I am in the NYC area and have found that the Live Services server is often offline and sometimes even when it is up, Traffic isn't working. So far, the longest that the LS server has been down since i have had my 740 is about an afternoon.

However, all too often when I turn my 740 it doesn't connect, but somewhere along the way it does.

I think that Tomtom needs to improved the reliability of the server from their end as well.

FWIW - I will be passing through the Jacksonville area next week - I will let you know what my experience is after I do.

I am in the NYC area and have found that the Live Services server is often offline and sometimes even when it is up, Traffic isn't working. So far, the longest that the LS server has been down since i have had my 740 is about an afternoon.

However, all too often when I turn my 740 it doesn't connect, but somewhere along the way it does.

I think that Tomtom needs to improved the reliability of the server from their end as well.

FWIW - I will be passing through the Jacksonville area next week - I will let you know what my experience is after I do.

For everyone that responded I want to say a big thank you.......I just got off the phone with TT and finally got a tech that seemed to know what he was talking about and really wanted to help me out with my problem....This was an older gentleman named Jim. We went through every thing step by step....and he came to the same conclusion that I did, I didnt have a connected GPS for some reason. He kept digging and digging and finally got some more involved with this problem.....well come to find out the sims card in my TT was deactivated...was not accepting my card so that I could log on to the network. The reactivated my sims card and within 5 minutes or so the GPS connected to the live services like it was supposed to. I just wanted to pass this along in case someone else might run into the same problem. I found out that if you get hold of someone at TT and your not really satisfied on how they worked with you....just hang up, wait a few minutes and then call back and get a different tech. The guy that I talked to yesterday seemed to me that he just wanted to tell me what I wanted/or not wanted to hear and get me off the line......This guy named Jim that worked with me today really went through everything possible till they came up with a solution. Kinda restores faith in a company when they treat you like this.....again, I want to thank everyone that responded....

Yea when I got the new TT I made sure that my email address was reassigned to the new TT......
I still think this was probably the root cause of the problem, its much easier to use a new e-mail address rather than getting TomTom to swap accounts between different devices, one slight error and the Live access will disapear. The e-mail address you use doesn't even need to be a current one you can just make it up, as long as the correct format is used (e-mail address removed) would work (and no its not in use neither is it my home account! but the device would accept it - Mike

Ask a Question