Linux & TomTom

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
I've just changed my laptop to Linux OS - actually Ubuntu. I've tried to load my TomTom CD but it won't install. Is there any way I can get round this?

PS I didn't mean to wipe out XP, just I made a bit of a mess!

Just got my Tom tom last week, and I am not sure they have a linux installation. You would need to install Wine on ubuntu and then attempt to install tomtom home via wine.

Thanks for that. I'd never heard of Wine (not that sort, anyway) I've been looking at the website but I can't guess which of the applications would be appropriate. I guess I'll just have to do a lot of trial runs and see what comes up

I have successfully installed and used TomTom HOME version 1.5 under Kubuntu using wine. This was done just by running the installer. I've not been able to get HOME 2.x running under wine though.

You should be able to get wine via the adept installer. You may have to enable additional repositories though.

It's kind of sad that TT doesn't provide HOME for Linux since TT is a Linux based device.

Tomtom Home and Linux

If you Google Crossover by Codeweavers and go to their site you will find a trial version of Crossover. Crossover works perfect on my three desktops and a laptop. Crossover is a commercial version of Wine.

Below is a link to Crossover. If posting a link is wrong then please remove.

CodeWeavers

I'm fine with that, Peter. You're helping another member to try to get Home to work in his environment.

Thanks for the assistance.

Home uses the .Net framework which is probably the problem. I recently did a reinstall of Windows and Home wouldn't work till I added .Net.

I have also installed an earlier version of home using wine but newer versions just will not work. I run windows on a virtual machine for work software and have home installed there. A linux version would be great.

Try out VirtualBox

Try using VirtualBox, install Windows inside VirtualBox (assuming you have a Windows XP disc you can install from) and you should have no problems getting Home to work from in there.

It is sad there's no sync utility for Linux, however you CAN access the memory of the device from Linux. I've installed files and music to my 720 that way. Doesn't help much with map updates or official software mind you...

If you're running Ubuntu, it's easy to install VirtualBox, then you just use it to install a real copy of Windows. From a console on your laptop do:

sudo apt-get install virtualbox-ose

You'll find it in the menu under Applications + System Tools if I remember correctly.

Or just do what I do - use the Kid's gaming computer to do your updates :D

And I just realized this thread started in 2007, but the info is still good to have archived anyway.

Ask a Question