Looking for support: Update via linux

TomTom Model(s)
XL 30
I have always been a Linux user. I maintained a Windows system on a corner of the disk of an old laptop. Only reason was to be able to update my TomTom.

Now the windows has network problems. Could not solve it in 3 hours. Decided to give up windows altogether. Too much annoying work for TomTom update.

I have paid for the map updates, so I am tempted to try another way to update. when I connect my TomTom to my computer, I can see the contents of the TomTom disc. If TomTom provided me the map files, and the other updates, in a proper I could copy them into my TomTom. However, I am afraid that it is more complicated than that.

Surfing the web, I have seen many people working on this issue but I have not yet encountered a solution straightforward enough for a non-nerd like me.

I have also learnt that Microsoft is putting, or at least was putting, pressure on TomTom. To prevent TomTom from supporting Linux users?

Does TomTom have service points were I can get my device updated?

The ONLY way to update maps is via TomTom Home which requires either a Windows or MAC based computer, Linux isn't supported.

Why not connect your device to a mates PC and use their internet connection for updates, as long as you log in to Home with your own account there won't be problems with updates. Home needs to see the device in order that the server at TomTom can issue the activation code specific to your device, without this you won't get the maps to work on the device - Mike

Clear enough, no Linux support, never

They do not even care reading the question

---------------------------
Do you have a service point in Brussels where I could get updated the maps of my TomTom?

TomTom Home - Linux Support - Signatures

--------------------------------

Sorry but this kind of servcie doesn't exist.

If you want to buy a new map , you need to go on our website : TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems.

-------------------------------

Again , this kind of service doesn't exist.

If you have a issue during your map download , please define it.

With Kind Regards

The TomTom Customer Care Team

-----------------

BTW: What is "mates PC"? Go to the neighbors? Internet cafe?

Tomtom makes use of the work of the Linux community but denies all support from Linux users. That is the point.

Tomtom makes use of the work of the Linux community but denies all support from Linux users. That is the point.
Indeed the devices uses Linux but the Home software only works on Windows and MAC based computers, it doesn't work very well on either IMHO but thats a different issue!

As for a "Mates PC" anyone you consider a friend who has access to the internet, this could be a friend, next door neighbour or other family member. Waiting for TomTom to create a working version of Home for Linux simply isn't going to happen as they have more than enough issues with the MAC and Windows based versions - Mike

TomTom Home & linux

Thanks Mike,

I should anyhow had made friends with my neighbors: "Excusez moi mademoiselle, j'ai une petite problem ridiculous..." :)

TomTom Home was little slow and clumsy and maybe caused some not so nice surprises but it was not too bad as long as my Windows worked. I booted Windows every third month to update TomTom and that was it. Well, it is ridiculous to maintain an operating system + virus protection etc. just to be able to update (Microsoft) TomTom

The Microsoft dependence became an real issue only after the Windows refused to connect to the network. Last time I booted it in August everything was fine. Linux in the same laptop connects nicely to the network.

Many people seem to be working on how to update TomTom with Linux but I have found no simple solutions yet. I wonder whether it is a legal, commercial or a technical problem. Is there something TomTom cannot reveal to those guys?

Are all the satellite navigators locked with Microsoft? Are the producers on the mercy of Microsoft? They cannot survive without serving the Mircosoft customers, that is evident. The question is, can Microsoft blackmail TomTom and other producers somehow or is it just that they do not care or did not even think about other than the Microsoft customers.

Well, the maps in my TomTom are not too old yet. Maybe there will be in the market Microsoft independent navigators in the near future.

Rob Miles

I purchased a Europe map upgrade in May 2010.
This was based on the fact that German Highways had listed a new link in the Memmingen -Munich area .
As I travel extensively in this area it made sense to have the upgrade in order to travel in that area.12 months after the link rd being opened Tom Tom still show rd under construction.I complained to Tom Tom that the service was useless based on the fact that as of now some 14 months after opening updates still show road under construction.I wrote finally to Harolkd Goddijn asking for him only to reply & refund the ?62 I had paid.HE COULDN'T GIVE A STUFF NEVER REPLIED.aAll I get is phone calls from UK Manager stating it says thay are not responsible for maps being correct.No wonder they have a diabolical customer care record

Wine and TomTom HOME

Hamilb,

Did you encounter any problems with wine?
I tried some months ago and failed.

The tests does not seem too positive:
WineHQ - TomTom HOME 2.x

I googled 'TomTom HOME' wine and found only very discouraging comments.

A lot of people have been trying for years to work with TomTom.

IMHO for example map update should not be technically too difficult if only TomTom wanted to help a little.

I'd consider finding a cheap / old windows laptop on craigslist or from a friend who is thowing one out.

You wouldn't need to worry about virus updating if you have windows firewall enabled and don't do anything other than TT Home on it.

Update a TOMTOM under Linux OS is impossible?

Hi TomTom Guys,

I simply can't accept that only microsoft and apple OS are supported to update your devices!

11 month ago my girlfriend bought a TomTom Go 1000 Live and since this date for the update of her navigator I have to maintain a microsoft system... now -as many other people wrote- I have the problem "no more connection to internet" with the windows OS (but the same machine with Linux works very well as you can read...). Is this a virus? Is this a Trojan? I don't know and I don't want to know it. I simply don't care. I don't want to spend my time to fix an OS that I only use once every 3-4 month (for the TomTom), or worse, buy a new machine with the last microsoft OS !!!

The device was warranty changed the first time after a month (was "dead"). July was sent to the repair service because it reset itself every 2 minutes (the charger and/or the battery had a problem) and now there are some problems to keep it up-to-date...:confused:

My solution? Throw away the TomTom (in the waste) and buy something that is less OS dependent (and more user friendly) at least for the updates! It's soon Christmas and a new navigator device could be a very good present to her (end of december she should pay to keep the LIVE services available...).

Another problem: after 10 minutes the fully charged device switched out because the battery was empty... very bad for a "portable" device!

With the actually TomTom polices I'll NEVER buy a TomTom !!! :mad:

First of all, we are not affiliated with the TomTom company in any way, just users such as yourself.

Indeed, there is no MyTomTom support for linux. If you call support and log a request, they may pass it on to Development as an enhancement (you are NOT the only one requesting it).

I am also a Linux user and I think it is unfair and disrespectful with the community that TomTom is profiting from our collective efforts to develop their systems, but it is not willing to pay back by supplying a Linux version of their HOME software.

Miro

I don't believe it

I purchased a tomtom for the simple reason that it runs on Linux and there is NO linux port for tomtom? I will return this item immediately if I am unable to find a way to use it on my PC. I have not run windows since 1996 and I don't plan to start any time soon.

Will someone please point me to an opensource community that is addressing this problem? If you can I would appreciate it very much. THNX!

TomTom apps do not run natively in linux though the code itself is on that platform.

Does linux have a pc emulator?

It has a program called WINE that has fundamental infrastructure for some .exe files. I'd prefer a straight shot for linux though.

WINE does not work for me. I have installed Windows within VirtualBox, but you need USB support. So you need to install the Extension Pack on the host side and the Guest Additions on the guest side. You need to add your user to the vboxusers group and then reboot. When you start your virtual machine, you will need to "mount" the TomTom device from the VirtualBox menu.

Well, I'll give it a shot and let you know. I've been searching the net. Seems there is an OPENTOM community out there also. Thanks for the info.

Ask a Question