Tomtom Home and Ubuntu linux

Hi All

I use Ubuntu Linux. I have Crossover installed has anybody got Tomtom home to run and if how did you do it. If i can get windows office 2007 to work Tomtom home should be easy, but it's how it's done i need help with.

Thanks for reading this post

Peter the 666 man

crossover is application specific on how well the application runs. Home is buggy enough on its on and I am sure there is nowhere enough people using it for crossover to properly support it. Your best bet is to use a free application like vmware player or xen and run windows as a guest os. you will need a windows install disk to make the virtual machine. vmware player will not create a virtual machine, but I think vmware server may and I know vmware workstation will. server may be free also, but workstation is not but does have a free trial.
even though i really dislike windows, it is usefull to have a windows install for the few things that just will not run under linux using wine.

If you have not, you could try wine, which crossover basically is. I dont think it will work but is worth a try as wine is free.

Virtual Box

I have gotten TomTom HOME partially working by running Windows XP inside VirtualBox on Kubuntu 9.04. However, I cannot get it to reliably connect to my GO 920. It connected a few times and I was able to do an update to the device about a month ago with this combination. However, since then I've been unable to get the device to connect, so I am no longer able to update it.

I will never buy another TomTom product until they release a version of TomTom HOME for Linux. When this device becomes unusable, either because the maps are out of date or it quits working, I will not replace it unless I am able to find a product that supports Linux. The difficulty I have had with the GO 920, even when I had access to a computer running Windows XP has convinced me that I will no longer buy any hardware that does not work with Linux directly. Running any version of Windows is not worth whatever little benefit such devices provide.

I just installed HOME 1.5ish in a winxp bottle using crossover pro 7.1. Seems to work OK. Once I manually mounted the device, it got picked up as the D drive , and I'm currently running a backup. I don't expect it to work perfectly, but it's a promising start...

wow....

So you're all saying I just bought a $200 TomTom XXL paperweight? I'm not going to suffer with an out-of-date device after a few years.

That's extremely stupid of you to not have a method for updating your maps in a cross-platform way, TomTom. Even if there were no standards you could use, which I believe you could have used some sort of USB network connection standard at the very least, you could still make a cross-platform program to do it in Java or web-based or something else.

Time to return it. :(

Disappointed with TomTom

TomTom is based on Linux, it's not as if they don't have the expertise to put a Linux version of HOME together, they just don't appear to care. Actually, I bet it actually exists on some developers machine somewhere. It's probably just lawyers not letting it out the door.

There are enough people petitioning for it on various fora. I'll vote with my wallet next time I want to buy a nav system. Linux is the preferred OS of many governments around the globe, not least because it's extremely cost effective and it runs on less powerful computers.

Could someone in the upper echelons of TomTom WAKE UP please or you're going to get your butt kicked! Microsoft and Apple aren't the only players here!!

TomTom is based on Linux, it's not as if they don't have the expertise to put a Linux version of HOME together, they just don't appear to care. Actually, I bet it actually exists on some developers machine somewhere. It's probably just lawyers not letting it out the door.

There are enough people petitioning for it on various fora. I'll vote with my wallet next time I want to buy a nav system. Linux is the preferred OS of many governments around the globe, not least because it's extremely cost effective and it runs on less powerful computers.

Could someone in the upper echelons of TomTom WAKE UP please or you're going to get your butt kicked! Microsoft and Apple aren't the only players here!!

As someone who has been working for different companies who develop devices based on Embedded Linux, I find that this is part of the industry wide trend.

If I try to count the number of devices that I know for sure work using Embedded Linux, few items in daily use are:
  • My Humax PVR box
  • My Panasonic LCD TV
  • My Popcorn Hour - Networked Media device
  • My Tom Tom

But can I connect to them using a Linux PC and manage them using Linux? The answer is unfortunately NO.

The industry trend seems to be to use Embedded Linux on devices - but since they still see almost every potential user as being a Microsoft Windows user, they only provide you with a management application that runs on MS Windows.

These companies assume the user to be a completely dumb person who often wonders why his computer is not working when the reason is - it is switched off and the dumbo does not even know where the 'On' switch is.

They all use Embedded Linux on their devices but they would clearly state that they would not support users who have Linux as their operating system. The reason given in most cases is that the budget for support team is limited and there would not be sizeable number of people who use Linux anyway. Surprisingly many of the same companies would have a support team to support Apple MacOS users - but not Linux users.

The embedded Linux developers who work for these companies on the other hand would be steadfastly prevented from sharing their knowledge with any 'outsiders'. The reasoning given would be 'Intellectual Property Rights' and even their employment contracts. The Marketing and Legal departments would keep a close eye on these 'Linux guys' - ready to pounce on them on any sign of transgression.

This is the unfortunate reality as of now.

Ask a Question