Linux on TomTom920?

Hi,

Is there any way to get the Linux GUI upfront in a TomTom920, so I could use it as a Linux computer? Going more wild, how could I run native Linux application like OpenOffice or Web Browser via bluetooth or USB Wifi adapter?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Rudi

http://www.opentom.org/

I tried it on my TT 520 and I managed to get an on-screen keyboard with console just fine. For some reason, on my 520 the `ttn` app didn't need to be running all the time to update the watchdog. It can only run a few very limited things, though, and I think USB can only run as a client with some desoldering.

Hi,

Is there any way to get the Linux GUI upfront in a TomTom920, so I could use it as a Linux computer? Going more wild, how could I run native Linux application like OpenOffice or Web Browser via bluetooth or USB Wifi adapter?

You couldn't. Bear in mind that this is a Linux-based operating system, i.e. with major proprietary modifications, running on proprietary hardware. As a previous poster has pointed out, there are some minor Linux tools that have been ported to TT's environment (e.g. a shell, after doing a lot of reverse engineering and guessing), but running OpenOffice or a window manager on your TomTom simply won't happen, for the obvious reasons stated above.

The memory (RAM) available on a 920 is VERY limited. So much so that a window manager would need to be stripped down to near nothing just to run without paging. TTconsole is out there that will run as a command line tool but it is limited as well where the keyboard provided does not support a piping character "|". There is not much in the line of command binaries or libraries either.

Ask a Question