It may not be the maps that are at fault!

I recently reverted back to the 6.60 map set on my new TT1. The routing problems that I was having with the 6.65 maps seemed to have improved a lot. Yipee!

However...

I've now noticed a new wrinkle that may have changed my opinion about the Tele Atlas maps.

When I switched, I simply reinstalled my initial back-up and tested some problematic routes. I didn't update anything prior to my testing, so I was using the 6.50 ROM firmware. All my tests with this version of the firmware was very positive.

I eventually decided to connect to Home and accept the offer to flash the ROM firmware to 6.56. Remember, I'm still on the 6.60 maps.

To my surprise, the very first route I attempted was messed up AGAIN! Additional tests confirmed that the routes were as screwed up as they were before I reverted.

It looks to me like something has definitely gone FUBAR with TT1 ROM version 6.56. The maps may very well be innocent of all charges.

I'm going to re-flash back to the 6.50 ROM firmware and see if the issue is resolved. I'll then update the maps to 6.65 and see what I get. I'm not quite sure if this is new information or not, but it might be easier to convince TomTom that they have a problem that they can fix.

TT1 Firmware 6.50.1 does not support QuickFix!

It appears that QuickFix is only available for download if you accept the TT1 6.56 firmware update. I haven't been able to figure out where QuickFix can be downloaded other than through Home. Is it even possible?

It looks like I'll have to choose between accurate routing, or fast satellite fixes.

More testing has cemented my opinion that the new 6.56 firmware is where all the goofy route problems are originating. For all I know, the Tele Atlas maps may be just fine...even when compared to NavTeq. It's all about the firmware's faulty logic, not the geographic details of the maps.

Bummer!

It appears that QuickFix is only available for download if you accept the TT1 6.56 firmware update. I haven't been able to figure out where QuickFix can be downloaded other than through Home. Is it even possible?

It looks like I'll have to choose between accurate routing, or fast satellite fixes.

More testing has cemented my opinion that the new 6.56 firmware is where all the goofy route problems are originating. For all I know, the Tele Atlas maps may be just fine...even when compared to NavTeq. It's all about the firmware's faulty logic, not the geographic details of the maps.

Bummer!

Some very interesting information.....

I too have the 6.56 firmware. Do you know where I can download the 6.50 firmware. I would love to do a similar comparison.

-S

Some very interesting information.....

I too have the 6.56 firmware. Do you know where I can download the 6.50 firmware. I would love to do a similar comparison.

-S

Obviously, I've got it as a back-up. I wish I knew which of the files are the significant few that would complete a restore. I just tried zipping up the entire back-up and it came to a whopping 930MB. Too big for email. It would have to go on a DVD if it's not downloadable somewhere.

I don't think TomTom has a "Firmware Archives" download section.

Any other ideas...anyone?

Hey guys, this is my first post, but I've been reading through these forums for the past few days since I bought my TT1 v4. I have been dissapointed with it so far, unfortunately. I would like to try downgrading my firmware from 6.56 to the 6.52 that was posted in this thread. The problem is, I have no idea how to do it. I consider myself pretty techincally savvy, so I attempted to figure it out. I made a full backup of my TT1, then simply copied all of the files from the old firmware version to the TT. It booted, but hung on the startup screen. I then connected it to TT Home and it recogized the older firmware, so I used the program to copy it to my PC. Then, I did a full recover from my backup (back to 6.56). I then tried to use TT Home to install the firmware I had copied from the device. It told me the version I was currently using was newer and would I like to install it anyway. I chose yes and it installed, but again it would not load past the startup screen. Can anyone provide me with some assistance? Thanks!

If it hangs, try a reset with a paperclip before giving up.

Also, it sometimes appears to hang, but after a couple of minutes it carries on and boots up.

P.S. Can you see the internal memory under Windows Explorer? Those of us with older units using SD cards can see it as a hard drive. So we can delete, drag and drop files as we like.

If you have a 1 or 2 GB SD card, you could use it for experimenting. When you insert it, it will have be recognized over the internal memory.

Last edited:
Ya, I've tried resetting with a paper clip. The TT shows up as a hard drive in Windows Explorer so I can view the contents. Are you saying I should just delete everything but the maps and voices, and then copy the files from the old firmware to it? I have done that, but I haven't let it sit for more than maybe a minute when it hangs. I'll try again and let it sit for longer.

Also, I found the 6.52 firmware elsewhere on the web in CAB format. There are two files: navcore_6.52.7690.go-rider-one.cab and navcore_6.52.7690.go-rider-one.toc. I am able to view these in TT Home, but when I attempt to install, it tells me "the software is not intended for your equipment."

You can erase everything except the map folder. The voices are part of the firmware package. (It's the map that is the crucial thing to save and backup. The firmware can be replaced for free, but the map will cost you bigtime!)

The .cab file version is the same thing. It's just that all the files are 'zipped' up in a package. Perhaps it didn't work because it was for another TomTom product.

Well, no luck. No matter what I try, it won't load past the startup screen with the 6.52 firmware. Any other ideas?

I hope when this is all said and done that and it has been confirmed that it is a firmware problem and not tele atlas that someone can make a sticky for this. Just a suggestion.

Ask a Question