Issues with external card

I purchased A-DATA Turbo 8GB SDHC card. The card looks OK when I use with my computer, i.e. I am able to format it , copy data etc? However, as soon as I use it in my TomTom 720, it recognizes the card, but as soon as I try to copy or move anything there I get I/O error, and computer freezes. I have tried 2 computers with Windows XP & Vista, but no luck.

Any suggestions/comments?

Thanks,

I suspect your firmware may not be 8.3. If that is the case, upgrade your firmware.

If you do have that firmware, then the fact the card can be seen by the computer is not necessarily a guarantee it'll work with the unit.

Are you using application 8.3? Earlier application versions aren't fully SDHC compatible.

Is the SDHC card formatted as FAT32?

Are you using application 8.3? Earlier application versions aren't fully SDHC compatible.

Is the SDHC card formatted as FAT32?

Yes, I have latest firmware version 8.3, and it is formatted ad FAT32.
And in fact when I connect TomTom 720 to computer it asks me what drive I want to use i.e. internal memory/card or SD card.

P.S. >>> I have just created 1 folder on card i.e. mp3, I HAVE NOT installed application on card.

Use Explorer to highlight the external drive. Right click on it and choose to check for errors.

If you go to the map version number screen, what version of software do you have to the right of the word "boot"? This software runs the SD reader, and maybe a prior application update got corrupted.

I purchased A-DATA Turbo 8GB SDHC card. The card looks OK when I use with my computer, i.e. I am able to format it , copy data etc? However, as soon as I use it in my TomTom 720, it recognizes the card, but as soon as I try to copy or move anything there I get I/O error, and computer freezes. I have tried 2 computers with Windows XP & Vista, but no luck.

Any suggestions/comments?

Thanks,

Try using this card on a SDHC compatible reader and see if you still get errors. Some of the reviews on this card say that they too get errors and have had to exchange the card for another.

Ask a Question