iPod cable generates background crackles and pops

I purchased a GO 510 a month ago and got the iPod accessory cable for it to connect to my iPod nano. When I first got it and hooked it up, it played music OK through the internal speaker of the GPS, but it had a lot of background crackles and pops (and this was without it being connected to automobile power, just being run through the battery). I thought this might be because the internal speaker of the GPS being kind of weak and wrote it off until I upgraded my car stereo so that I could output the audio through my new stereo's AUX jack. Unfortunately, it still crackles and pops. I don't get this when I hook the iPod directly up to headphones or the AUX jack in my car directly bypassing the TomTom, so I don't think it is my iPod. Also, the voices and such on my TomTom don't exhibit this quality.

Has anyone else experienced this? I really want to use this feature of my GO 510, but it's incredibly annoying sound quality-wise.

I have a 910 (currently dead) and the ipod cable. I have the same problems that you do. I asked tt support and they really did not know either. Others have commented on this in the past on the forum also. Perhaps someone has some ideas we both can use.

Why not connect your ipod to your device, then connect your device to your car's aux. Test to see if it crackles through that setup.

I have tried that and there is no static when using the ipod directly into my radio aux input. My personal opinion is that the same problem that caused TT to shut down before they disabled the auto off feature causes this also.

It is very likely a ground issue from the power/charger of the TT.
Most of the time this type of static can be fixed by using a ground loop isolator in the 12v line used to charge the device.

Yup same issue-

Mine does it too. I have tested it in my car and directly to a stereo. The sound is bad enough so I can't use it. The sound is kind of like a slightly off radio station.

I think it is a bad connection on the mount.

No resolution though. Bummer.

The OP stated that the crackling and popping occurred when operating on battery, so that eliminates a ground loop in the automotive power supply. I had the same problem with my 510 and iPod with the power adapter, but I stopped using the auto power adapter and the issue ceased for a few weeks. When it started again, I found that cleaning the contacts on the windshield mount and inside the dock connector area on the TT device fixed the issue. Also, make sure your iPod cable is securely connected to the windshield mount.

EDIT: You don't need to clean the connectors with any cleaner or solvents. Simply wiping the contacts with a clean, dry Q-Tip/Cotton Swab will do the trick.

Ask a Question