iPod Connect Cable Question

saw in this forum that the iPod connect cable doesn't allow for charging iPod so that seems to be a bit of a problem but I was wondering how it connects to the GO 720 ... was concerned that it used the USB connector in which case the GPS wouldn't be charging either ... can someone enlighten me since I don't have access to the cable

Thanks!
Dave

One end connects to the Ipod's connector and the other end connects to the TomTom. No usb cable is involved.

There are three connectors on the bottom of the 720. The USB connector is where the 720 gets power. It is not used for the iPod cable so no problem with charging the 720. The iPod cable goes into a different, special connector next to the USB connector.
The iPod cable connection does not relay power on to the iPod, so it is not getting charged while connected to the 720.

One end connects to the Ipod's connector and the other end connects to the TomTom. No usb cable is involved.

Ok, maybe I'm not getting this. It sounds, and looks to me in the pictures of the cable, that one end goes to the iPods dock port and the other end goes to the TTs Power/dock port. If that is the case, then neither device can be charged while they are used together. Since both ports on both devices support USB data transfer, both are technically non-standard USB ports (actually the TTs is a standard mini-USB port). One would assume that the connection between the 2 devices would be a USB connection.

Am I mistaken here?

EDIT: Ok, I found a better picture:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41RQHKB7EKL.jpg

The TT doesn't connect through the dock/charge port, but the iPod does connect via the dock port. The TT should be able to be charged while in use, and the iPod can't, though it has a much better battery life.

Last edited:
saw in this forum that the iPod connect cable doesn't allow for charging iPod so that seems to be a bit of a problem but I was wondering how it connects to the GO 720 ... was concerned that it used the USB connector in which case the GPS wouldn't be charging either ... can someone enlighten me since I don't have access to the cable

Thanks!
Dave[/QUOTE

The kit from TomTom includes 2 cables. One uses the iPod dock connection (not the headphone jack) and connects to one of the round ports on the bottom of the 720. The other is a standard (3.5mm I think) audio cable that connects to the audio out jack (also on the bottom of the 720, right next to the iPod port). This can be plugged into an aux in jack on your car stereo, if you have one, allowing you to feed the audio to your stereo without using the FM transmitter. Better sound quality that way. The USB port is still available and accessible for powering the 720.

Also, the kit says "TomTom Go 510-710-910" on it, but works fine for the 720. I think there've been some questions if this is the right kit for the 720 - it is. Works very well for me, but I do wish it powered the iPod.

Hope this helps.

thanks everyone ... helpful info ... now I just need to figure out a way to get power to the iPod at the same time ... anyone know if there is an iPod connector (M to F) where the power is injected and everything else passes through? Not sure it's possible to do this but it sure would be nice in this case (i.e. plug this creation into the iPod and plug the TomTom iPod connect cable into it)

Dave

thanks everyone ... helpful info ... now I just need to figure out a way to get power to the iPod at the same time ... anyone know if there is an iPod connector (M to F) where the power is injected and everything else passes through? Not sure it's possible to do this but it sure would be nice in this case (i.e. plug this creation into the iPod and plug the TomTom iPod connect cable into it)

Dave

I don't think there is, but you can do a search on iLounge and see what you can find.

http://www.ilounge.com/

did a little searching and it looks like this item from Kensington should do the trick ... it is a charger that has a pass-through dock connector so in theory one should be able to connect the TomTom iPod connect cable to the pass-thru connector and have the iPod charge at the same time it's hooked to the GPS

http://us.kensington.com/html/11205.html

Thanks again to everyone for tips and info ...

Dave

PS. it also has a cable with USB end so you could also charge your TomTom with it ... just not at the same time

Last edited:
Ipod Cable Question

Quick Ipod Cable question for a 720 and classic 80 GB Ipod. I already have the audio cable. Does anyone know where I can just get the cable that attches to the Tom Toim? Thanks

I just picked up these cables from Circuit City yesterday for $29.99. I didn't need the audio cable but I went ahead and got the set just for the convenience of the set up.

Works great, I hooked it up in the store parking lot and used it for the hour drive home. No complaints so far. I love the way it turns down the music while it gives directions then turns it back up.

One comment about it charging: If it did charge the Ipod, the power would be coming from the Tomtom's battery (unless you had the TomTom plugged in to the charger), in which case you would be draining a device with less battery life to feed a device with more. I'm guessing this is why they didn't do it.

Sheridan

did a little searching and it looks like this item from Kensington should do the trick ... it is a charger that has a pass-through dock connector so in theory one should be able to connect the TomTom iPod connect cable to the pass-thru connector and have the iPod charge at the same time it's hooked to the GPS

Dave

PS. it also has a cable with USB end so you could also charge your TomTom with it ... just not at the same time

I'd suggest simply getting a 12V splitter, so you can connect 2 device at once on the car power source, along the kensington adapter.

Quick Ipod Cable question for a 720 and classic 80 GB Ipod. I already have the audio cable. Does anyone know where I can just get the cable that attches to the Tom Toim? Thanks
Got mine at www.bestbuy.com. If my memory is correct, it was about $15. It comes with an iPod cable AND an audio cable in the kit, so now you'll have an extra audio cable!

Correction, it may have been $29. I think you can find them for less, but when you get BB gift certs for xmas, what are ya gonna do?

One other important point that may save you some time - the kit says it's for 510/910...I did the research, trust me, works fine with 720!

Dave

Yup, I got one today and it works a treat. It plugs into the ipod, the TT cable plugs into the back of the plug, and off you go - a safely hidden ipod with full control via the TT.

Ask a Question