iPhone 4 / tomtom cradle not working

I went into the Apple store in Liverpool today and saw one of the new tomtom car kits for the iPhone 4.
I didn't know they were out, but I've been waiting for one, so I quickly bought it.

When I got home, I tried it out, and it did nothing. It was not recognised in the car kit app, it didn't charge, there was no external audio from the kit's speaker, and the volume controls did not work.

I returned it to the store, looking to get a replacement, but while I was there, another guy was also returning his cradle. He told me that he had bought the first in London, then travelled to Liverpool and returned it there. Neither of the 2 he bought had ever worked.

I'm pretty sure this is not just me, and as far as I can tell there are no faults with my phone. Has anyone else been seeing these problems? I'm pretty sure that if all the cradles in the country are like this, it will catch on pretty soon..

If anyone knows of somewhere I can get one that works, I would also be interested - I've been waiting for one since the phone came out.

Hello, I ordered my iPhone 4 compatible car kit through Apple online and I have had, fingers crossed, no issues so far with it. I went into Argos initially and both stores had opened up boxes so I assumed punters were checking to see if the iPhone 4 adapters were there, which they weren't.

Now just waiting to see if TT will produce an adapter for the iPod Touch 4G?:(

Tom Tom Car Kit not connecting

Hello,

I have had the same issue, i'm based in the US and purchased the Iphone 4 car kit from best buy.

I have attached the 4G adapter to the car kit and the phone will not charge. It works fine with a 3G phone but cannot get the car kit to work with the iphone 4.

Best Buy have changed the car kit 3 times and tested it only to find out it does not charge the iphone 4.

Not sure what else can be done? I have emailed tom tom for further assistance. If anyone else help, please let me know.

Thought I saw somewhere the necessity to put something behind the phone on the mount to make a proper contact, like a piece of velcro or something.

Indeed sticking some card or the fluffy half of Velcro to the mount is all thats needed to get the iPhone 4 to sit in the car kit correctly - Mike

Tom Tom Car kit not charging

Hello,

Just an update, i purchased the tom tom car kit for the iphone 4 which failed to charge.

After investigating and taking the iphone & car kit to Apple, we found that the iphone was at fault. The iphone would charge as normal via usb to mac or power source but would not charge via the tom tom car kit.

Apple replaced the iphone 4 and finally after my 4th tom tom car kit it's working.
:)

Same issue as the original poster. Bought direct from Tom Tom website and using brand new iphone 4. Neither my wifres iphone, my iphone nor my ipod touch can find the cradle over bluetooth to pair. All units pair just fine with everything else. Unit seems at fault.... will probably have to go back.

Question: Does the assisted GPS rely on the bluetooth or is it just the speakers.

I ask because I already have a very good parrot system for the sound/hands free phone in the car and would rather it keep paired to that.

The bluetooth is ONLY for the audio, the GPS signal is fed through the docking connector.

With an iPhone4 I don't see the need for an external receiver/ cradle, a simple powered holder is all thats needed and then connect to the cars BT system for a far better solution (thats what I do) - Mike

Not sure if this matches. My iPhone 4 used to charge in the TomTom cradle, but no longer does so. My wife also has the car kit, and while hers charges, mine does not on hers.

There are no differences in the relevant versions of my wife and my iPhones - iOS 4.2.1, TomTom 1.6.

Follow-up

Took my iPhone to the Apple Genius Bar last night. Turns out one of my contacts was corroded, so they swapped out my iPhone (for free.) Everything works now.

The only thing I can think may have caused this is that I put my iPhone in my shirt pocket with the speaker facing upward. A rain drop may somehow have gotten to the iPhone... So from now on, if rain then jeans pocket (with umbrella.)

Ask a Question