Inefficient Routing & Bad ETA Calculations

I've gotten into the habit of just subtracting 1/3 of the time remaining in the trip.

I recall once, at the very end of the trip, an obvious and egregious error in ETA. The last 6 miles of the trip are on a road with 55mph speed limit (and should therefore take 6-7 minutes to cover), but the time remaining for the trip showed 12 minutes, as if I would only be driving 30mph.

I think that inefficient routings are a separate issue, and I have seen its bad results in very clear circumstances where I can't imagine what it's thinking.

For example, here on this map, I was traveling eastbound on Rt 514, and needed to go North on Rt 533. The obvious and correct answer is to simply turn left onto Somerset Courthouse Rd. However, Tomtom told me to continue past that intersection, and make the next left onto Main St, then turn right onto 533. The recommendation is wrong in any way you can think of: it's a farther distance, and it forces you to go through 2 traffic lights and a stop sign rather than just 1 traffic light.

My 910 does the same things in regard to the ETA. Also when chossing fastest route it will at times advise me to go off an Interstate, meander through a few neighborhoods and then get back on the Interstate. Not a big deal if one knows the area but a big pain when in an area for the first time. I have version 665 and OS 7.162. Iunderstand there is a new map version 7.10 but when I go to the website it says map store is not available and my Home 2.1 says my maps are up to date. Just a little confused here

I totalyl agree with everything you've said, and here's a perfect example. I live in Northern Alabama, about an hour from Birmingham. Yesterday I went to dinner at PF Chang's at the Summit in Birmingham. Since I've only been there a couple of times I figured this was a great chance to use my new Go 720. Well I knew as much to know that I needed to stay on 65 South, and then head East on 20 once I reach Birmingham. Well the TT routing engine thought differently wanting me to get off well north of Birmingham and then using a secondary highway for the last 1/4 of the trip. This would take me through the heart of Birmingham...not the best route to take to say the least.

Route it should have taken

Route it took

Is it the fastest route? Well maybe in theory, but not in practice. A simple feature that allows us to use higways as much as possible would fix this, but if it's map data then it's not easy.

I think I know of a way to check this. We need two people with x10 NA maps and the same OS that live in about the same area. The first set of maps have to be 6.60 maps. Those are navteq maps. The second should be 7.10 maps, those are the latest tela atlas maps. Have the two people do a route, and see if they come close to being the same route. If they do, then it's software. If they don't, then it's maps assuming the same set of roads are available in both sets of map data.

mcaswell:
you think that's bad... I just got a new ONE XL 3 weeks ago. While testing it close to home, here's a route to make a left turn from Eglinton Ave onto Don Mills Rd. Wow, it doesn't realize I can make a left turn at that corner but somehow it thinks it's ok to make a U-turn in the middle of a major street!

route.png

This looks to be a teleatlas issue.

I found these two intersections in Toronto, Canada. I opened Google Earth, put a few placemarks in and here is what it told me to do.
1)Head southwest on Eglinton Ave E toward Gervais Dr
2)Make a U-turn at Don Mills Rd
3)Turn Left at Don Mills Road
4)Make a U-Turn at Eglinton Ave East
5)Arrive at destination
So Google Earth had me doing a 360 degree circle and then finally making the turn right there at the intersection.

Google MAPS, which says it used "Navteq" data did it right. It said
1)Head southwest on Eglinton Ave E toward Gervais Dr
2)Turn left on Don Mills Road.

Would love to know what TeleAtlas is telling the routing engine about that intersection.

Ask a Question