540TM - Inefficient directions

I'm using a 540TM and have noticed something disturbing on rides home. When on the highway approaching home from the West I know the quickest way to get home without using the TT. Despite not needed it I've left the GPS on and noticed that it is trying to take me past my exit to the following exit. My home is located between the two exits so passing and going to the next would require some double back. Even when I get off the exit ramp TT insists that I cross over the road and get back onto the highway. It's only after making the turn that TT recalculates which results in LESS distance and LESS time than the initial TT calculation. The option I'm using is for the fastest route and I don't have any restrictions on roads. Also, like I said, as soon as I make the turn the TT realizes my route is both faster and shorter.

Given that these aren't nee roads and my maps are up to date why would this be happening? It bother me because if it is trying to take me on a longer trip both time and distance wise on this occasion it makes me think of how many other times this is occurring when I'm not so familiar with the route.

I've seen some similar things, mostly related to unknown speeds on surface roads - but your double-back-on-the-highway problem seems to indicate that the map data doesn't believe that you can get to your house via the 1st exit. That could be inherent in the map you have or it could very well be bad MapShare data that shows some portion or a road blocked that really isn't. Out of curiosity, do you see any dashed purple lines anywhere that you would normally drive?

You can eliminate all MapShare data using Home to see if it makes any difference. If it does, you may want to 'tighten up' the sources you allow for MapShare data (also a Home configuration).

From the "Tools" drop-down of Home, select TomTom Map Share and take it from there.

rwish, I don't know were you are, but to prove canderson's point about possible bad MapShare data, if you plot a route from Richmond, VA to anywhere south of where I40 crosses I95 you will find that near Rocky Mount, NC there is a detour off I95 and then back on further down the road.

However, if you remove the MapShare data from other users that same route will go right down I95 without any detours.

Not saying removing MapShare data will cure your problem, but if there's one error in MapShare data there very well could be others.

I've removed "MapShare data from other users" from my device until I can figure out the proper security level (if there is one) where the I95 problem doesn't show up.

I have had similar issues and removing mapshare worked. Perhaps a better screening method for changes would ber good. And fwiw......bought my son a XXL 540 with maps and traffic lifetime. Even after the map update his home.....on a street that is several years old is not shown. However, Google and Garmin do. Go figure.

Ask a Question