Easiest Way to Amend Inefficient Routing?

Ged

We are in a new metropolitan area, so are relying very heavily on our 540TM to help us get around.

Overall it is working great, but we have one problem. Upon leaving the house to go to many destinations, the 540 initially and consistently routes us very inefficiently. Our local knowledge has grown and we now know there is a much more efficient initial route (which the 540 eventually ties into after wasting about ten minutes of travel) for probably 75% of our destinations.

Sometimes we don't intuitively know where our end destination is located when we leave the house, so we trust the 540, often only to be frustrated when it eventually ties back into the route we could have been on from the get go (and in much less time and miles).

Is there a simple way to force/reprogram the 540 to take the common, efficient route the locals use, and not the elongated initial route it is so fond of? Why would the unit suffer from this strange and inefficient proclivity?

Thanks much,
Ged

What are your routing preferences? Do you have it on fastest or shortest planning? Is IQ enabled?

Our unit is set to "Always plan fastest routes" and IQ Routes is enabled.

What I have referred to above as the "inefficient route" is both longer and slower than the preferred route that the unit eschews.

Ged

Last edited:
Plan the route then set a "Via" the via location should be positioned in such a way that it "drags" the route the device produces to the general direction you want to travel.
Alternate is to simply ignore the device as you know better than the unit due to local knowledge - Mike

Plan the route then set a "Via" the via location should be positioned in such a way that it "drags" the route the device produces to the general direction you want to travel.
Alternate is to simply ignore the device as you know better than the unit due to local knowledge - Mike

Thank you Mike. I'll look into the the "Via", haven't used that capability yet.

We do "ignore the device" when we know that the shorter route works for where we are going. I guess what I need to be doing is studying the picture of the big route much more closely to see if the shortcut beginning will work, and then use the "Via" adjustment. That makes a lot of sense. I have not been studying the full route closely because it is a bit hard for me to read, but with the potential of the "Via" adjustment, it seems that may be the solution. Appreciate the suggestion. Ged

Route is not shortest or fastest - avoiding pending road construction?

Our unit is set to "Always plan fastest routes" and IQ Routes is enabled.

What I have referred to above as the "inefficient route" is both longer and slower than the preferred route that the unit eschews.

Ged

Like other postings, our TT XXL routes us not the fastest or the shortest. However there is a section of the fastest route that has some construction on it. They are moving utility poles and underground pipe lines pending a road expansion. I thought this might be the problem, so I turned off the IQ map feature but it still routes me a longer route.

Is there anyway to determine if part of the route is flagged as construction? Any other thoughts?

Thank you.

Bret C

You could block that road with construction by using mapshare if that's what you are seeking.

You could block that road with construction by using mapshare if that's what you are seeking.
Problem is that it then shows as truly blocked to other users if the change is shared (which can be a problem if they need to access a point ON the blocked road) and after the construction ends, it needs to be UNblocked via MapShare.

Unless a user has opted out of the MapShare system ('don't share changes'), a user needs to be careful about what is being broadcast to the rest of the TT user base. Using a "Block" to personally avoid a road that is at least marginally passable means NOT sharing that kind of change with others. That's one of the gotchas about the system.

Ask a Question