I need help with map installation

I recently bought a go 720 and was trying to update to the newest version of north american maps. I downloaded with the use lastest map guarentee on tomtom home, but when I tried to install it on my 720 it wouldn't fit. Is there a trick to getting it to fit? Do I just need to get a SD card and use it? Thanks

The latest NA Maps are supposed to be slightly over 2 gb. You probably do not have enough room. Some members have successfully used 4 gb chips -that might take care of it.

New Map install

I just went through this today with a brand new 720.

I fully backed up the unit first...created a backup folder on a portable hard drive I use and dragged the entire filesystem over...copying the contents of the device

I allowed TomTom Home to delete the existing maps off of the unit

I then allowed it to copy the updated maps to my unit

Worked fine.

Thanks I'll try that when I get off my shift at the ambulance. When you erased the maps did it say you had enough space. I ask because when I tried to remove the maps the first time with tomtom home it said I still needed about 500mb open. I know that my 720 says it has over 1.9 gigs of total and the north american map is just over 1700. If that sounds familiar let me know but again I'll try it when I get home this evening. Thanks

Map Update

I let the TomTom Home app handle the removal and upgrade. It told me how much space it needed, the only item that could be removed to accommodate it was the NA Maps. When I chose it for removal I received a warning that the unit won't operate correctly if it's removed. That's when I did the full filesystem backup from the 720 to a removable hard drive I had. I then let the removal begin, once it was removed the utility automatically installed the map upgrade.

Jack

My version of the NA maps was only 1200 and the new map is 1700+ so when I tried to remove it tomtom home said I still needed to remove 450MB in order for the new maps to fit. Unfortunately I just found out I have to work until Wed morning so I won't be able to try it again until then. Hopefully I can get it to upload because where I live there has been a lot of new roads put in that aren't on the old version. Thanks

Last edited:
My version of the NA maps was only 1200 and the new map is 1700+ so when I tried to remove it tomtom home said I still needed to remove 450MB in order for the new maps to fit. Unfortunately I just found out I have to work until Wed morning so I won't be able to try it again until then. Hopefully I can get it to upload because where I live there has been a lot of new roads put in that aren't on the old version. Thanks
Ahh yes I love the last minute double shifts, or when one-desk calls and says you have an out of town transfer that's gonna keep you overnight. heh

I think the easiest thing for you to do is pick up a 4GB memory card and use that, it will allow you to have more maneuverability with what you want to do with the unit.

Cheers,
--Phil

Thats probably what I'll end up doing. It will give me more flexability with what I can do. Yeah I just finished 54hrs straight but I love it.

There should be 4 computer voice preloaded in your 720. Remove three of them (spanish... french... etc) just keep the english and you should have enough space. I brought 5 TomTom go 720 for my family and I did excatly the same thing. You wont have enough space if you try to keep all the computer voice!
Indeed TomTom have more than one version of map 710 however the one that we download over map update will fit without problem (if you did what I mention above) I talked to TomTom support over 3 hours about the map issue and I guess I know what I am talking about :p

Ask a Question