XL 340 T not working No maps need help

Hello all,

Got this GPS for the wife went to upload updated maps, and then nothing.

All the GPS does is turns on, goes to the two hands, and then nothing.

I tried the upload map thing again, after I followed what was told to me from TOMTOM, now I get:

These USA Canada Mexico maps are not for your device P200.

Choose maps :

Well there is no other maps!

My backup got messed up. What do i need to do?

AL

PS Did I tell you this is my wife's?

Welcome to TTF.

How were you trying to make your backup? Using Explorer (I hope) or via Home's backup icon (I hope not)?

Anyway, if the map you were trying to update did get downloaded, you will find it here:
C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\maps\

If you see it there, do the following:
1. Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents.
2. Delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents.
3. Connect to Home and install the application offered for your unit.
4. Disconnect the unit properly from Home, using the Device disconnect icon on the bottom right of Home's screen.
5. Close Home completely.
6. Connect your unit to the computer.
7. Install the downloaded map using the instructions found here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...nstall-downloaded-map-without-using-home.html

On the other hand, if you do not have the map in the located I noted above, then complete steps 1-4 above.

Then connect to Home and go to Update my Unit and see if the map is offered. If not, try 'Add maps' and see if it is offered.

If the answer is 'no' to both, then I'm afraid a call to CS at 866-486-6866 is necessary.

Hello to the Furlows! Good to see you made your way here. You're in good hands.

dhn has beat me to the punch, and provided you with the steps necessary to see if we can get this thing recovered for you.

As I noted on the gc.com site, if we can find even one uncorrupted map somewhere on your system, the rest can be rebuilt without any intervention by the folks at TomTom.

Now that we're over here, you'll also be getting an earful (eyeful?) about how to manage your own backups (not those created by TomTom Home) prior to any major upgrade of map or firmware. In doing so, we always have the requisite pieces to help you to put Humpty together again if something goes badly.

Now that's the problem.

I have no backups.

I have no backups.

Now thats out of the way.

The unit turns on and that is it.

SO
Do I clear out very thing on the GPS itself, other then folders, then re-connect it to the HOME program and let ie fix itself?
AL

The maps i downloaded are the usa canda mexico

They do load.

I got the gps to run on,

goes to select maps.

I press for what I download
then I get

these are not for your device choose another

usa_canada_and_mexico_maps_P200

I feel I dont have the base maps any more, or there is a failure in the program giving me the wrong maps for my GPS.
XL 340T
AL

Do you have the latest application for your unit? When you connect to Home, are you offered an application update?

You can see what application you have by tapping the satellite bars on the screen. The next screen shows the application version installed.

You must have Navcore 9x installed to work with the 'P' maps, as I remember. Supermod, mvl, has a good handle of what models can use that map. Look for him to join this thread.

I, I think any app will read the P maps.

My suspicion is that HOME may be giving you inaccurate map files. Was the map update purchased via Tomtom HOME? If so, the following should solve things:

- use windows explorer to copy the "USA_canada_mexico" folder from the Tomtom to your c drive (eg: back it up)
- rename mydocuments\tomtom\home\download to mydocuments\tomtom\home\downloadOLD
- format the Tomtom drive, disabling quickformat
- close/reopen Tomtom HOME
- run "update my XL", and install the application only
- let it restart the Tomtom, and repeat installing the application only until you get no new application
- when done, run the clearflash utility from here
- reconnect to HOME, and run "update my XL". See if Tomtom HOME offers you a map. If it does, install the map ONLY. If it doesn't, let us know (and don't do the next step) and we'll try the more complicated map folder restore process.
- If the map installs, install one computer voice (eg: Susan or Dave)

Nope now all is lost.

I am just going to send it back.

There is an error every time I try to load anything to the GPS.

SO I am now throwing in the towel.

I have spent more then 10 hours trying to resolve this.

Thanks for the help.. But it is now the time to send it back.

I still ask myself why I left Garmin?

:mad:

Ask a Question