How to specify starting location in itinerary planning?

It would always ask if I want to navigate to the first location in the itinerary. No I want to *start* from the first location in the itinerary.

How do I specify -- or achieve that? I want to know how long the whole trip takes.

Thanks.

PS: I want to plan an itinerary when I get to a different state. Obviously, I don't want to 'navigate there' from where I'm right now.

Last edited:
It would always ask if I want to navigate to the first location in the itinerary. No I want to *start* from the first location in the itinerary.

How do I specify -- or achieve that?

Thanks.

PS: I want to plan an itinerary when I get to a different state. Obviously, I don't want to 'navigate there' from where I'm right now.
You simply say "no" after you are done preparing your itinerary. It won't bother you again after that.

When you arrive in the area where you want to start to make use of the itinerary, and are ready to do so, you execute it by going back to Itinerary Planning. Your itinerary as you have prepared it will appear on the screen. Click "Done". It will ask you again (as it did before) if you want to start moving toward your first point.

If you have multiple itineraries prepared, you will instead need to first hit "Options" and load the itinerary you want.

Last edited:
Nuts - I see you made an edit while I was replying.

You will not see any time specified for your itinerary, only to the next point in your itinerary. Since these routes typically include stops, your TT doesn't try to project that.

(I thought I'd need to clarify a bit... .)

How do I figure out total time needed for this whole trip that I'm planning in a different city/state then?

I have multiple itineraries I need to figure out the times--before I get there.

Google Maps has this feature--and this is a very essential feature. I don't want to get to a place an hour late.

Not possible to get total time for a whole itinerary on a TomTom XL?

(I have TomTom XL 340TM)

Not possible to get total time for a whole itinerary on a TomTom XL?

(I have TomTom XL 340TM)
If there is, I haven't spotted it. It is interesting that a single "Navigate to" can give you the detailed information for each segment with either time or distance specified, but no attempt is made to produce anything similar for itineraries.

Thx.

Just very frustrating... . Such an essential feature... .

Should be a very easy feature to do--all the nuts and bolts are there already as you've said... .

So looks like right now I still need to turn on my PC, and get onto Google... .

My 3 most wanted features:

- prefer highway route
- itinerary total time
- don't add 5 min delay for left/U-turn...

Don't know if any of these will ever happen in this life... .

- prefer highway route
- itinerary total time
- don't add 5 min delay for left/U-turn...
I could certainly do without the penalty box for u-turns. However, if you specify "Fastest route" in your Planning Preferences, it should always use highways unless speed there makes no sense at the time, assuming your model of TomTom takes that into consideration. You don't say which model you have, nor whether you have the traffic option. Both and their configuration will impact routing.

For TT to start from the second leg of your itinerary, do you have to be there physically? I wanted to check if TT would do that, and it always started from "Home". ( One XL)

I've got a way to do what the OP wanted (i.e. start the itinerary route from the 1st itinerary point rather than from Home.) and I think it also will do what Bigalx58 wants.

It all depends on NOT having a GPS fix...

Set up the itinerary, making sure all the points (except the last) are waypoints not destinations.

Make sure you know how to find the first waypoint on the map or save it as a Favourite or some other way so you can go to it on the map.

When you tap "Done" and it asks "The first destination is xyz. Navigate there now?" - Answer "Yes"

It will then say "You do not have any GPS reception. Do you want to define a starting point so you can preview your itinerary?" - Answer "Yes"

In the "Depart from.." screen, select "Point on map" (or Favourite if you stored the first waypoint as a favourite).

Select the first waypoint and the route is calculated from there.

If you have a recent model with the "Flight mode" in the options, you can use that as an easy way to make sure you don't have a GPS fix, otherwise it's down to hiding indoors or wearing tinfoil underpants!

Oh if you insist.... :thumb: (any excuse!)

tin foil hat.jpg

The look on the kitty's eyes says it all... "gimme a break will ya?!"

Too funny!

Want to give a clue as to what you're talking about? What model do you have? And why post in this thread?

Do you mean you have a World Traveller Edition? If so, a 540?

Report back and we'll take it from there............:p

I guess I need the flight mode for this to work--

can TomTom put this feature into all existing TomTom devices?

I sure don't wanna carry a tin foil during my vacation... .

What model have you got?
I find almost all of the TomTom's I've owned struggle to get a good signal indoors if I'm away from a window, especially the older ones.
And without a signal lock, it should all work fine.

TomTom XL340TM.

When the surrounding satellite signals are weak, it does take a little bit of time to get satellite signal (like 2 minutes) when my TomTom XL340TM powers up initially. But it does pick up the signals within about a minute if the signals are strong.

So it's kind of a race to get my itinerary planning set up before the 1-2 minute mark--not much time at all. This means I have to find somewhere indoor, and act fast once I power up my TomTom.

Last edited:

Ask a Question