No satelite connection and keeps restarting.

TomTom Model(s)
xl iq
Hi I drive for a living and really need my Tomtom. I have a XL2 IQ edition. It has been working totally fine until earlier today when it shut down, restarted and then refused to connect to a satellite. After a minute or so it just turns off and reboots. I'm lost and desperately need help please.

Does this reboot cycle continue endlessly? If so, how far do you get before it starts the reboot. Splash screen? Main driving map/screen?

A truly HARD reboot that causes the device to reload ephemeris data from one of the satellites directly (How long since you plugged it into your PC? More than a week?) will often take several minutes to re-establish a lock.

It does continually reboot. I can get it to the map screen, of which it says there is no satellite connection and then after a minute or so it turns off and reboots. Its been plugged into my pc on and off all night. Prior to that though it was a few months. It is fully upto date now but still not working right.

I should have asked more specifically - have you plugged it in and updated it with Home lately -- and more specifically, with a QuickGPSFix update? Or did you update anything else with Home? Please advise which updates you may have accepted since it sounds as though it may have been right after the updates that this started, though you didn't mention that in your original post.

We're not used to seeing these units reboot from the driving screen .. it's almost always from the splash screen (you don't get past that, typically).

Try a drum reset on the unit by holding the power button about 20 seconds till you hear the drum sounds unless your model has a dedicated reset hole.

The problems started whilst I was driving. I only plugged it into Pc and updated it after the problems started. So it wasn't due to the updates. Just double checked and there are no more updates outstanding. When it's plugged into Pc it stays on on blue screen. To get the map screen I have to agree to the legal notice. If I leave it it just reboots from there. Also I have noticed when it reboots a blue screen flashes up which it never used to do.

Tried the drum reset only heard the drums when connected to pc, if its not I don't hear anything. Ive tried the reset button underneath and nothing happens and I've reset to factory settings on satnav itself. I'm really desperate I need it for work in the morning.

Some confusion over how you need to reset that unit.... If it has a dedicated reset button, then the "20 second press" on the power button won't work.

If there really *is* a reset button then it will be inside a tiny hole, check the user manual and it will tell you where it is (they are available on-line at the TomTom website if you've lost yours)

It needs to be pressed with a blunted pin or an straightened paper clip, and if it is getting pressed correctly then something SHOULD happen - usually the screen goes black and then you get a reboot screen with a progress bar at the bottom as it reloads the software.

Ask a Question