How to Install Voices

TomTom Model(s)
ONE v2
How to Install Voices

This tutorial will walk you through how to install voices on your TT device. I am using the example Silent Directions voice but the steps are the same for installing any other voice found in the forum.

I'm a Windows user so the tools I am using is WinRar to extract the compressed file. For Mac users, the program you can use is StuffIt.

1. Download the voice on your desktop.

1.Download.jpg

2. Right-click the file and select - Extract to 99_Silent_Directions\

2.Extract.jpg

3. This will create a folder on your desktop like so:

3.ExtractedResults.jpg

4. Open the folder and you will see three files: the image file (*.bmp), the voice data file (*.chk), and the index file (*.vif).

5.Files.jpg

There a couple of things to note. If you download a voice, you may find that you only have two files (missing the *.vif), the voice will still work.

Another thing is the numbering of the files. The site http://tomtom.graemelucas.co.uk explains it best:

In order for TomTom to recognise your voice, it must be properly named in the format "data[number].chk". Each official voice released by TomTom has a unique file number, for example data04.chk is Tim UK, and data15.chk is Eva - Nederland's. As far as I am aware you cannot change this, however data61.chk to data99.chk (TomTom 5) and data71.chk to data99.chk (Pre TomTom 5), are recognised as 'Special Voices' by TomTom

As you'll see, the Silent Directions is recognized as a Special Voice because the file name has the number 99. You can actually change the number if you want to but I will explain that in the following post.

5. Connect your TT device to your PC or Mac and copy all of the files, the *.bmp, *chk, and *.vif into your voices folder

VoiceFolder.jpg

insidevoicefolder.jpg

6. The Silent Direction voice is now installed on my TT. To see if it was successful, disconnect the TT device and go into Change Preferences | Change voice

6.Changevoice.jpg

7. Now your current voice will be displayed. Click on either the left or right arrows to cycle through the voice selections

7.Selectingvoice.jpg

8. You may get a message informing you if you want to select voices only in your country's language, in my case English US. You want to tap on the option NO.

8.SayNo.jpg

9. Now continue to tap on the arrows left or right to cycle through the available voices till you see the voice you installed.

9.SilentVoice.jpg

10. Tap on select and you have chosen the Silent Directions voice.

Last edited:
What if I have an existing voice with the data99.chk, .bmp, and .vif?

You can certainly change the number to something that is not used. It is recommended to choose a number between the range 61-130. I haven't actually gone higher than 99 only because I don't install many voices.

So, in the case above:

Change data99.chk to data61.chk
Change data99.bmp to data61.bmp
Change data99.vif to data61.vif

Now you also have to edit the *.vif, so open the file in a text editor like Notepad. You will see a reference of data99.chk. You need to change the 99 to 61 to correctly refence the changes you made.

I choose 61 at random, so choose a number that is available for you.

Last edited:
Sorry to sound like a dummy here but I have downloaded a few voices that I want to install in my 910, using Home 2.0 but can't find the folder titled "voices" in either the Home software or on the device itself. I did find on the device a folder titled "Loquendo TTS" which contains the voices, although the file extensions are different then what has been described in this thread.
I'm confused......again.
Thanks for any input.

Is there a tutorial for installing computer voices? I have tried with TomTom Home 2 but have been unsuccessful.

Sorry to sound like a dummy here but I have downloaded a few voices that I want to install in my 910, using Home 2.0 but can't find the folder titled "voices" in either the Home software or on the device itself. I did find on the device a folder titled "Loquendo TTS" which contains the voices, although the file extensions are different then what has been described in this thread.
I'm confused......again.
Thanks for any input.

Go in TTH v2.0
Menu Preferences, Folder Preferences
Set the Downloads folder to the directory where you've copied the voice files or move the files to the directory chosen in the Downloads folder value.
Then click Done
Click in Add maps... then More then Items on my computer, then click on the + before Applications and you should see the plugins

Have copied those files to the appropriate directory, and can see them there in when using Windows Explorer. When I follow your directions though in TTH11, it does not appear under the applications.

I have taken a snapshot of the folder with the files, can you see if anything looks wrong, I can't figure it out. I recopied the files over again.
Thanks

Attachments

• Tomtom problems.jpg
    Tomtom problems.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 1,153
What I did, was insert my CD and changed the Download directory to my CD/DVD drive like so:

folderpreferences.jpg

Then, when I click on Voices, notice that under location it says CD. I would think this would be the same for computer voices?

voices.jpg

you need to make sure the files are named the exact same.

Starbucks.ov2 Starbucks.bmp starbucks.ogg are not named the same.

This is case sensitive.

Man this is getting frustrating. I created a new folder, copied all the files over, checked all the file names and even amended some of them once copied over to ensure that they were exactly the same as the original. Go to TTH and direct the preferences to that folder. Then when I try and download from that folder, TTH doesn't see or show it.

I am having a similar problem, I want to have more than one computer voice installed but tomtom home does not want to let me. At the moment I have the "Kate English UK" computer voice installed (I installed it off the tomtom CD) but now when I go to the add voices option in TTH the other voice I want to install (Susan U.S.) does not show up in the options. I have browsed my C.D. and in the folder TTS (which I assume is all the computer voices) I have a zip file called Kate_6.9.1 which would be my current computer voice and also a Susan_6.9.1.zip file (as well a quite a few others). Is it possible to have more than one computer voice installed ?

TomTom Go 720

tt.jpg

voice install on new tt home v2

how do you do this I have dl and unzipped the voices but am now lost. I am running go910 with version 7 software ....? ps ??I am a pc dummy so go easy step by step please :). and i was lost by the stuff above :)

Last edited:

Ask a Question