How to install POIs

TomTom Model(s)
510 w/ iPod and RAZR Bluetooth
How do you install POI's to TT? i have downloaded them in the map folder on the tt but cant get them into tthome. Please help!!:confused:

Don't use HOME. Once downloaded, just drag them over to your North America folder. Next time you boot up your TT, they'll be there. You may want to go to the menu "enable/disable POI" so your POI icons will show up on your map as you drive.

Hope this helps!

yea i see them now. thanks a bunch. think you could guide me on updating my sd card to a bigger one?

Sure can, would be happy to help. Are you wanting to just transfer everything over to a larger card, or are you wanting to put the North America maps on a larger card?

See here

Don't use HOME. Once downloaded, just drag them over to your North America folder. Next time you boot up your TT, they'll be there. You may want to go to the menu "enable/disable POI" so your POI icons will show up on your map as you drive.

Hope this helps!
actually any POI you download, you can just unzip to your HOME\Downloads folder and then use HOME to install.

Hope this helps!

Sorry, I am very new at this also.

Are you saying that all I have to do is unzip the files (for instance, I d/l the Speed Trap, Red Light and Rest Area files) and then just drag those files using explorer into the USA and Canada folder and they should work?

yes that will work make sure your bmp file is the same name as poi files since you getting zip from here you should be fine guys here do a great job
you can just unzip it straight to na folder

yes that will work make sure your bmp file is the same name as poi files since you getting zip from here you should be fine guys here do a great job
you can just unzip it straight to na folder

I don't have a NA Folder, I have a USA_and_Canada Folder. But I see no other files like that in that folder.

you dont have any becasue you never put in personal poi as far as i know that where you need to put them i am sure someone here with more experience will let you know sooner or later

Just unzip the contents of the file in your USA_and_Canada folder. The custom POI should show up.

Ok, I unzipped them in the USA / Canada folder. I also went and clicked on "ADD POI CATAGORY" and named the catagory the same as the unzipped file (without the extension obivously). Did I even need to do that?

Also, how can I see if those alerts and such are working? Do I just have to wait until I am near an intersection that has a red light and camera and just see if it warns me?

I also went and clicked on "ADD POI CATAGORY" and named the catagory the same as the unzipped file (without the extension obivously). Did I even need to do that?

No you don't. The custom POI is it's own category.

Also, how can I see if those alerts and such are working? Do I just have to wait until I am near an intersection that has a red light and camera and just see if it warns me?

You can choose a route with the POI alert along that route and run a demo. You should hear the alarm as you appraoch it.

No you don't. The custom POI is it's own category.

Interesting. When I just unzip the files into the USA folder, they never show up as POI's on the device but if I create a catagory and call it the same name as the files, they show up. Well, atleast I THINK they show up.

You can choose a route with the POI alert along that route and run a demo. You should hear the alarm as you appraoch it.

I will have to wait until I go out tomorrow because my GPS reception in my house is no good (no bars).

Interesting. When I just unzip the files into the USA folder, they never show up as POI's on the device but if I create a catagory and call it the same name as the files, they show up. Well, atleast I THINK they show up.

If you unzip for example the McDonald's POI you should get something like

McDonalds.bmp
McDonalds.ov2 <--- The name given to the .ov2 file is the category when slecting POI

NOTE: in order for the picture to show beside the custom POI, it needs to match the .ov2 filename

Follow the link amorek13 posted if you are still having trouble (Thanks)

I will have to wait until I go out tomorrow because my GPS reception in my house is no good (no bars).

It doesn't matter about the reception. You should still be able to plot a course and run a demo. You can even hook it up to TT HOME and run a demo that way as well.

If you unzip for example the McDonald's POI you should get something like

McDonalds.bmp
McDonalds.ov2 <--- The name given to the .ov2 file is the category when slecting POI

NOTE: in order for the picture to show beside the custom POI, it needs to match the .ov2 filename

Follow the link amorek13 posted if you are still having trouble (Thanks)

It doesn't matter about the reception. You should still be able to plot a course and run a demo. You can even hook it up to TT HOME and run a demo that way as well.

Whew, this can be a little confusing. LOL

What is the .ogg file? When I just unzip the POI into my maps folder it doesn't seem to show on my device but when I create a catagory and call it the same name as the .ov2 file it creates a .ogg file and it seems to work.....I just have no idea why. ha!

Whew, this can be a little confusing. LOL

What is the .ogg file? When I just unzip the POI into my maps folder it doesn't seem to show on my device but when I create a catagory and call it the same name as the .ov2 file it creates a .ogg file and it seems to work.....I just have no idea why. ha!

:confused:

Are you downloading POI or POI Alerts?

:confused:

Are you downloading POI or POI Alerts?

Ok, I think I have it figured out...

The POI is the .ov2 file (and the corresponding .bmp file) and an ALERT is a .ogg file, right?

I was thinking that you needed the .ov2 file AND the .ogg file in the Maps folder for a POI to show up. I guess you only need the .ogg file if you want an ALERT for that particular POI.

Right?

Ask a Question