How about a sticky for installing the POIs....

TomTom Model(s)
GO510/710 + XXL530•S + XXL550•T
....for both Macs and peecees?

A detailed installation process for both platforms would surely be appreciated!!! :)

1. Download POI, unzip & remember where you put it.
2. Connect TomTom to PC.
3. Drag & Drop unzipped files to Map Folder.

That is all.

OK.....downloaded the POI, unzipped it to my desktop (not tough to remember)...connected GO510 to my Mac....drag & dropped the POI unzipped file to the Icon representing my GO510.....result.....nothing.

OK.....downloaded the POI, unzipped it to my desktop (not tough to remember)...connected GO510 to my Mac....drag & dropped the POI unzipped file to the Icon representing my GO510.....result.....nothing.
Not quite, the poi file and the associated .bmp file (if present) go into the map folder of your unit.

From your description, the file(s) would have just gone into the root of your unit and the software wouldn't 'see' them.

Alright, newbie here so go easy on me....

I just downloaded a bunch of POI files to put on my TomTom for Palm. I put everything in the USA_and_Canada folder, put the card back in my 700wx, and when I started TomTom was told that I had no maps available. I then deleted all the files I had added to the USA_and_Canada folder but that didn't fix the problem. Any idea what I messed up and how to fix this?

Thanks.

Total neophyte here ..
I have downloaded the POI files and can get to the *.bmp and *.ov2 files. I have a 1505m. It is connected to the computer but where are the map files??? I get nothing in MyComputer and nothing in My TomTom.

You're following instructions for the old "NAV2" models.

All new TomTom models like yours (so-called "NAV3") work completely differently, so you cannot access any of the files or folders directly.

The only way to manage your model is to use the "MyTomTom" software (not the old TomTom "Home")

You can get it from https://tomtom.com/en_gb/mytomtom/getstarted/

Once you've installed that, click on the icon in the PC system tray (next to the clock) with the TomTom connected and you should see a menu item called "Add community content".

From there it should be fairly obvious, but please do report back with how you get on.

I also have the 1505m and have made many .ov2 files (on my old tomtom). When I plug in my new 1505m i'm unable to see "add community content". I've also just switched to a 64 bit laptop. Could the 64 bit laptop be my problem?
I've got the mytomtom software on it and registered it and activated the lifetime updates.

on my laptop the "mytomtom" tab shows overview, manage content, check for new items, account details, and activate code.

Add Community Content is on the DESKTOP MyTomTom icon when the unit is connected to the computer, not the web's green MyTomTom box.

on my laptop the "mytomtom" tab shows overview, manage content, check for new items, account details, and activate code.
It sounds like you have been bitten by the "multiple MyTomTom programs" bug, :confused:

In their infinite wisdom, TomTom has created TWO separate "MyTomTom" programs. There is a browser web page utility - which is the one you have already seen - that has a "Manage Content" selection that only tells you about space available, etc.

In addition to this web utility, there is ALSO a MyTomTom utility program that is actually on your own computer. By default, it installs itself at bootup but you will see it only as an icon in the "Systray" at the bottom right of your screen, over where the clock icon is normally found.

When you click on THIS "MyTomTom", it will open a dialog box at the bottom right of the screen. One of the options shown will be "Add Community Content". When you click on that option, it will open up a screen with options for adding POI, custom colors, custom sounds, etc.

IMO, once you have reached that point things are reasonably intuitive - which was NOT the case up to then. If you do run into any problems after that point, come back here and we'll try to help.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

it's not on my desktop or showing under my programs so maybe i'll uninstall and reinstall the mytomtom software

I tried several suggestions and then uninstalled and then reinstalled mytomtom3 and i can see the add community content now. I was able to load my custom POI's and it's working great! Thanks, everyone for your suggestions!
- Dennis - :)

POI where the hell do u get them from

Hi new to tom tom, have connected my new tom tom start 20 to pc done updates etc but on trying the 'add community content' all i get is a browser looking at my PC which I guess wants me to install pre downloaded POI
Heres my question where the bloody hell am i supposed to download these mysterious unable to find anywhere POI
I thought as it states these were supposed to be free community downloads available to all tom tom users to download and share, as is mentioned elsewhere on the official tom tom web site.
Am I missing something here or wot, or am I just thick and missing something obvious ???

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly welcome,

thanks Marc0nius

Welcome to TTF.

In the 'good old days' (read: Home 2), users indeed could dl poi files using Home.

Unfortunately your model requires the use of the MyTomTom web app (tomtom.com/getstarted) and, as you've noticed, the option isn't there.

So, you can either copy custom poi files you have on earlier units or go hunting on the net for sources you can get these files from. Here are some locations:

http://www.gps-data-team.com/poi/
http://www.poi-factory.com/
http://www.poihandler.com/
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/tomtompoi.php

Ask a Question