Comment on New Sticky: "Fixing Problems with the XXL 540"

Based on my experience, there's a misconception or mistatement in the subject sticky, although I think the sticky is generally well done. The problem, it seems, is not limited to devices bought from Amazon.

I bought my first XXL TM from Amazon, and it did have the problems described in the sticky: white screen on boot-up, and uncontrolled rolling of the image when I rebooted. I RMA'd the unit with TomTom. The RMA replacement had the same problems. And it wasn't labelled as a refurbished unit, which might explain a connection to a unit originally sold by Amazon. And it really flabbergasted me that a manufacturer would ship a warranty replacement that had exactly the same issues as the item being replaced. Where's the QA in that place?

I RMA'd the second unit. The third unit seems to work almost fine. The only issue I've found so far is that I can't operate the device via TomTom Home. But, after being in RMA limbo for a few weeks, that seems to be just a quibble.

BTW, as unhappy I've been with the quality issues of the devices, I've been that happy with the customer service people. They've been pleasant and responsive. Given the circumstances that they're working in, I think they should all get medals.

Friery - don't know if you've noticed (as of your yesterday post) - but TT fixed the XXL540 problem Today 3/10/11

Just be connected to Internet, start up Home, log into your account; and connect your 540. Go to "operate my xxl'; click on it; and it should now offer you a file to install. Accept, and your fixed and done.

D.

Ask a Question