Sticky Protector on New Tom Tom

I've just purchased a new Tom Tom. Out of the box it had a sticky protector on the LCD screen. Peeling it off has left a nasty sticky residue. Is there a way to remove this? I can't believe they have done this so crudely by Tom Tom.

Thanks

I've just purchased a new Tom Tom. Out of the box it had a sticky protector on the LCD screen. Peeling it off has left a nasty sticky residue. Is there a way to remove this? I can't believe they have done this so crudely by Tom Tom.

Thanks
Very unusual that it would leave that residue behind. A bit of isopropyl alcohol should remove whatever remains. Dampen a tissue with it and give it a wipe. If that doesn't work for you, post back and we'll point you to some stronger stuff.

Thanks for that. It was a paper protector with a map picture on the front. I peeled it off carefully but he glue just came off on the screen. I haven't even used it yet. I'll have to purchase some of that stuff now. Not a good start!!

Thanks for that. It was a paper protector with a map picture on the front. I peeled it off carefully but he glue just came off on the screen. I haven't even used it yet. I'll have to purchase some of that stuff now. Not a good start!!
It's just ordinary "rubbing alcohol". If you don't have any of that about, do you have any all-purpose cleaners there whose names I might recognize? Need to stay away from a couple of general things, but there are several that would work just fine.

Thanks for getting back to me. I returned the unit to the retailer and they tried to clean the glue off the screen but couldn't(it covered the entire screen). So they opened another box and that too had the PAPER sticker on the screen. They peeled that off but underneath was the nasty glue residue stuck to that screen too. They opened 4 more boxes and all had the paper sticky protector. ALL left a large amount of the glue on the screen impossible to remove even with copious ammounts of scrubbing(With the stuff you mentioned). Hence they are returning th enire batch to Tom Tom as faulty. They contacted another store who bought over a differen batch copy and it had a CLEAR membranne peel off protector. Not the paper one. No glue on this baby. Phew what a relief. So I got a good one at last

They contacted another store who bought over a differen batch copy and it had a CLEAR membranne peel off protector. Not the paper one. No glue on this baby. Phew what a relief. So I got a good one at last
Glad to hear they were able to work that out for you. I've never seen a TomTom with a paper cover on the screen before. I suspect they could have gone after it with mineral spirits to remove the adhesive, but there's no reason a person should have to do that. All of the fresh TomToms that I have encountered had the plastic film over the screen. When you originally wrote that it came with a "sticky protector" on the screen, I automatically assumed the clear plastic.

Thanks
I had exactly the same problem and and remove the glue with a soft cloth and very litle alcohol (96%). Started very carefull and changed to clean cloth every time. Its perfect now.

Ask a Question