How to install POIs

Well we have Taco Bell and other POIs on the forum already. If you struggle making POIs, you can always ask one of use to make one for you.

Also, a few members are contacting the company for all their locations with gps cordinates. Some companies will provide this information, it doesn't hurt to ask.

Well we have Taco Bell and other POIs on the forum already. If you struggle making POIs, you can always ask one of use to make one for you.

Also, a few members are contacting the company for all their locations with gps cordinates. Some companies will provide this information, it doesn't hurt to ask.

Yea, I know and thanks Pedro. I just enjoy doing this kind of stuff.

I was just using Taco Bell as a reference.

I am doing one now for Taco Mac (its a restaurant chain in GA). I am trying to figure out the best way to get the GPS coord into the Excel spreadsheet. Copy and Paste doesnt work very well with Google Earth.

I would love one for Chick-Fil-A, I haven't seen one of those.

Here are the steps I use:

1. I create a folder for the POI I'm creating called 'Taco Bell' under My Places
2. Copy and paste the address in the search box and hit search
3. GE zooms in the address.
4. I click the place mark (thumbnail) and paste the address as the name (the address becomes the description)
5. Adding the placemark adds it under my directory called Taco Bell
6. Repeat 1 through 5 for all addresses for the POI
7. Right click the folder Taco Bell and save the file as *.kml
8. Open POIEdit2007 and save it as *.ov2

Btw...I think your system is faster. I can just do a search with whitepages.com for whatever I want to search for. Copy that address into Google Earth and then do your steps. That saves me from having to create an excel spreadsheet.

My way is probably more extensive (giving the phone number and so forth) but your's is MUCH faster. :)

********EDITED***********
I can't seem to figure out how to get the .kml to open in POIedit. It says it doesn't recognize the format. What am I doing wrong?

I did exactly as you did. I created a folder and copied and pasted each of those locations into that folder. I then saved that folder as a .kml file. Tried to open in POIedit and it won't open it.

Last edited:
There is a site on the net that will translate all address into GPS cordinates.
I don't recall the site. Just do a websearch and you will find the answer. This eliminates inputing each address and optioning the GPS cordniates when you can do it all at one time.

There is a site on the net that will translate all address into GPS cordinates.
I don't recall the site. Just do a websearch and you will find the answer. This eliminates inputing each address and optioning the GPS cordniates when you can do it all at one time.

I just did a quick search and ended up with this, I never used this before.

Link

I've use that before. Be careful, it does give bogus cordinates. I always double check the cordinates when I enter a list of addresses.

I just did a quick search and ended up with this, I never used this before.

Link

Doing it the way you do it, I can't seem to figure out how to get the .kml to open in POIedit. It says it doesn't recognize the format. What am I doing wrong?

I did exactly as you did. I created a folder and copied and pasted each of those locations into that folder. I then saved that folder as a .kml file. Tried to open in POIedit and it won't open it.

Nevermind, DOH! I was saving the file as a .kmz file....not a .kml file.

This way is MUCH faster, the only real problem is you don't get a lot of info this way but you do get the GPS coords very easy (and they are probably correct I would think).

For instance, some of the locations just say "Taco Mac", while others have the address. I guess it really doesn't matter because when I want to go to the nearest Taco Mac, I just select it and GO, I don't need the address. :)

Nevermind, DOH! I was saving the file as a .kmz file....not a .kml file.

This way is MUCH faster, the only real problem is you don't get a lot of info this way but you do get the GPS coords very easy (and they are probably correct I would think).

For instance, some of the locations just say "Taco Mac", while others have the address. I guess it really doesn't matter because when I want to go to the nearest Taco Mac, I just select it and GO, I don't need the address. :)

I like it because it's less copying into different applications. Just paste in GE and copy address, paste in GE, copy address etc. etc.

Personally I think the address is important because sometimes there are certain areas you want to avoid so having the address will allow to choose which one to go to even if it is a little farther.

Another example is perhaps you want a POI that's on the same street your on. You can't tell if all the POI's are named McDonald.

It's my preference and its something I think TT should take a page out of Garmin, IMHO of course.

You should also be a little careful using GE as it can be a little off at times. It's time consuming but make spot checks of the co-ordinates on MapQuest or Windows Live Local.

Where is a good place to get locations for chain businesses? For instance, say...Taco Bell. They are everywhere, I would love to do an ov2 file for all the Taco Bell's but I can't seem to find a listing of locations anywhere. Is there a site that has a lot of this info? Also looking for Chick-Fil-A.
Why not just ask the company in question? I have mentioned it before on this forum, but I don't think anyone ever tried. A sensible company would compile their own .ov2 set, as it will bring customers to their door (literally). They already have the database of store locations, and it is easy enough to do. The more enlightened companies in Europe have been doing this for some time now, you just go to their corporate website and download an ov2 set with all their locations and a custom logo.

Seriously, it would save Pedro a lot of hassle too.

If these companies get requests for this from the public, they will start producing these files as a matter of corporate routine (make website, get telephone listings, send out flyers, get billboard ads, create ov2 set!). They probably just don't know that there is a demand for this....

Ask a Question