How to Install Custom POI's to your TomTom Device

Use Explorer. Go to the specific map folder. Look for a file called .wal-mart.ov2 (notice the . at the beginning? The name wal-mart may be slightly different).

If you see such a file, delete it.

Thanks for the reply. I've connected my TomTom to my computer, opened the map folder, but can't find the sort of file you refer to; that's the problem. Am I missing something? Doing something wrong?

And thanks also to mikealder. I'm trying to do this on a Mac.

I've used your instructions to successfully install several third-party POI files, but now I have a question. Each installation creates the appropriate file -- say "Wal-Mart" -- but it also creates another file, like ".Wal-Mart". (Note the . at the beginning.) The former file shows up fine in my POI list. The latter file shows up at the top of the list and is empty. The problem is that I can't find the . file, so I can't get it out of my POI list. Is there some way to remove this bogus file? Any idea why it shows up in the first place? I've tried to find the answer but no luck, so any help you can give m would be most appreciated.

Thanks.
In the first bold, I assume you meant you seen that . (dot) file on your computer, MAC.
The second bold, I assume your "latter file" shows on top of your GPS because, if it shows in your computer then there is no reason for the third bold, that you said you can't find it. So, in the third bold, I assume you CAN'T find the .(dot) file in your GPS.
What dhn suggested was getting back to your computer, a MAC, open the map folder, find the . (dot) file and delete it.

Thanks for the reply. I've connected my TomTom to my computer, opened the map folder, but can't find the sort of file you refer to; that's the problem. Am I missing something? Doing something wrong?

And thanks also to mikealder. I'm trying to do this on a Mac.

Does that mean you can't find the . (dot) file on your computer? and only see it in your GPS?
If so, try to delete the .ov2 file (the one without the dot at the beginning) to see if the . (dot) file goes away or not. Change its name to something else and see if it still has the same behavior.
And try one with Windows if you can.

Does that mean you can't find the . (dot) file on your computer? and only see it in your GPS?
If so, try to delete the .ov2 file (the one without the dot at the beginning) to see if the . (dot) file goes away or not. Change its name to something else and see if it still has the same behavior.
And try one with Windows if you can.

Correct: I can't find the . (dot) file when I open the TomTom on my computer. I open the USA_and_Canada folder, where all the other 3rd-party POI files are stored, and it's not there. The correct .ov2 file and its bmp file are there.

When I remove both the bmp and ov2 files, the mystery . (dot) file goes away. I then renamed the file(s) and reinstalled them; I've tried removing the bmp file and leaving the ov2 file. Neither works. The mystery file comes back.

My next move will be to try a Windows machine, rename the files, and see if that works.

Thanks.

Is there any way to place custom POI's in an existing POI category? For instance I downloaded all the Kegs in Ontario put if I'm in a given area and click poi nearest me then restaurant will these custom POI's be included in that or will I have to search for Kegs independantly? This will be a pain given I'm downloading a lot of restaurants and won't remember to search for each on independantly.

Ideally I'd like to be able to place my custom POI's in an existing appropriate category.

Thanks.

Thanks...I think you'll see in the other post that although your response was appreciate it doesn't apply to Canadian and US POI categories. Apparently ours are void of poi codes which makes sense given the list of codes given were missing some of our categories.

creating POIs

Could someone post a line of text that goes in the text, csv file used to create the ov2 file?

Thanks. I tried creating a POI but, although the icon and category show up on my TomTom Xl when I selected the category the TomTom said no POI found.

How are you trying to create one? If you go to Manage pois, add poi and select the category, you have choices to add a poi there to a category as I remember, such as address, current location, etc.

creating POIs

I am trying to create one from a whole list of addresses in a csv file. We have a customer that has sites all over the midwest. Trying to get all those sites available.

Ask a Question