How to Install Custom POI's to your TomTom Device

Nope, its pretty easy. You can add it simply by going through Main Menu>Change Preferences>Manage POI>Add POI>Select the custom Shell POI>and then enter the location via address/long&lat/point on a map etc.
Did as you said worked great. Then remembered I had downloaded manual as .pdf. The old saying. RTFB. everything was there. Thanks.

I'm having trouble with the POIs. I've downloaded a few and followed the instructions here. They are in the North_America folder (there's North America and North_America but it looks like the maps are in the one with the _...)

I can't find them in the list of POIs on the TomTom now. Am I missing something? Are they already in other categories? How can I change what category they are in so I can find them?

ETA: I discovered that when I did the Map Update I never removed the old maps. I was installing the POI's into the old map, not the new one. When I deleted the old map and placed the POI's in the correct map directory everything worked. You can use this as a reminder to the new folks unpacking and updating their maps. :eek:

Last edited:
I'm having trouble with the POIs. I've downloaded a few and followed the instructions here. They are in the North_America folder (there's North America and North_America but it looks like the maps are in the one with the _...)

I can't find them in the list of POIs on the TomTom now. Am I missing something? Are they already in other categories? How can I change what category they are in so I can find them?

ETA: I discovered that when I did the Map Update I never removed the old maps. I was installing the POI's into the old map, not the new one. When I deleted the old map and placed the POI's in the correct map directory everything worked. You can use this as a reminder to the new folks unpacking and updating their maps. :eek:

Glad to hear it worked out.

Problem making my own icon

I tried making my own icons
taking a look at the ones that come preinstalled on my tomtom.

I noticed they were either 22x22 or 24x24 at 4k.

so i downloaded this covered bridge poi
which resulted in a red square.

then i downloaded a few online pics somewhere,
converted them to bmp in photoshop with the above dimensions.
but these came out to 44k.
And dropping them into the tomtom
with matching name of the poi didn't do anything,
the icon was still red.

I couldn't get it to work whether i chose windows or os2 format,
24 or 16 bit...

so then i took one of your
icons from this site,
gave it the covered bridge name
and voila, it shows up as my poi.

So what am i doing wrong?
how do you convert an image from photoshop
to the specs that the tomtom will recognize??

thanks!

Make sure the resolution is around 72.
You can send me the picture and I could fix it for you if you would like.

So what am i doing wrong?
how do you convert an image from photoshop
to the specs that the tomtom will recognize??

I don't believe that the embedded 72 dpi matters too much as this setting is mostly for output (printing). 22 x 22 pixels is the SAME EXACT SIZE no matter what dpi resolution you select.

They need to be 4 bit (16 colors) and I couldn't get my Photoshop to save them any lower than 16 bit.

I use Photoshop to make the BMP and then another program (GraphicConverter) to convert them to 4 bit (16 colors) and they work fine. Try that.

Here's three I made...

pizza, wifi, & animal vets

2002850084735781798_rs.jpg

2002807408426796194_rs.jpg

2002822139048817336_rs.jpg

Last edited:
Nope, its pretty easy. You can add it simply by going through Main Menu>Change Preferences>Manage POI>Add POI>Select the custom Shell POI>and then enter the location via address/long&lat/point on a map etc.

Hmmm. I looked, and looked, and looked again, and can't find "Manage POI" on my TT1 3rd. I'm assuming, since there was no mention otherwise, that this works on all TTs across the board.

Any help in navigating to "Manage POI"?

Thanks much and I really appreciate this forum and all the posters here.

Hmmm. I looked, and looked, and looked again, and can't find "Manage POI" on my TT1 3rd. I'm assuming, since there was no mention otherwise, that this works on all TTs across the board.

TT One 3rd ED

Prefs > Map Corrections > Correct a Map Error > Add missing POI

Is this what you want or something else?

In the Preferences Menu, it is on the second page, just tap the blue arrow on the bottom right.

In the Preferences Menu, it is on the second page, just tap the blue arrow on the bottom right.

No.

I can confirm there is no "Manage POI" item on my TT One 3rd Ed. either.

Prefs page 2/5

from left to right...

top row...

Volume preferences
Manage Favorites
TomTom Safety Cameras (greyed out)

bottom row...

Change voice
Warn when near POI
Blue Next Arrow

Trouble with downloading poi

Hi, I have not been able to find this mentioned elsewhere-sorry if it's been covered at length. When i try to download a poi file by clicking on it, it save s as attachment.htm intead of a zip file ,which I know how to extract to the proper folder. Any help would be appreciated.

Ask a Question