How to Install Custom POI's to your TomTom Device

Thank you for the help. You prompted me in the right direction. It looks like I could do it the whole time. When I clicked the link it would automatically download as htm. I forgot all about right clicking-That's where it downloads fine as a zip. Again, I feel a little sheepish-but you got me where i needed to go. Thanks for all your work, I have read many of the posts and learned a lot. My tomtom le should be much happier now. thx again.

Hi Digital flex,
I tried to go through all the thread in this series. I recently bought TOMTOM ONE XL-S. Can you guide me where should I copy the Unzipped stuff for POI of timmys.

thanks !!!

Hi Digital flex,
I tried to go through all the thread in this series. I recently bought TOMTOM ONE XL-S. Can you guide me where should I copy the Unzipped stuff for POI of timmys.

thanks !!!

You basically place it in your map folder on your TomTom device. In your case, the folder would be called USA_and_Canada. Copy it there.

Hi again,
thanks for your prompt reply, My problem is that I could not find any folder with name USA_and_Canada or even any folder with name of map or anything with the files of OV2 extension.
please help me in this regard...

Thanks again .....:)

Hi again,
thanks for your prompt reply, My problem is that I could not find any folder with name USA_and_Canada or even any folder with name of map or anything with the files of OV2 extension.
please help me in this regard...

Thanks again .....:)

When you connect your unit to your PC/Mac the unit itself should be displayed as a removable drive on your computer.

Double click that removable drive and you should see folders and files on your TomTom device. You should have a map folder which should be easily recognizable i.e. USA_and_Canada.

Trouble Downloading .Zip files to Mac Desktop

i am having trouble downloading the ZIP files to my mac desktop for some reason. It is listing the file with a .php file extension. How do I get the files to open correctly? HELP!!!

Thanks, BW

Not Working On Mac

I am new to this and having some trouble. When I try to save the .Zip file to my Mac, it saves it as a .PHP file. I can not open it? Any suggestions as to how to save the POI's correctly? Thanks.

I am new to this and having some trouble. When I try to save the .Zip file to my Mac, it saves it as a .PHP file. I can not open it? Any suggestions as to how to save the POI's correctly? Thanks.

Since it really is a ZIP file, just change the .php to .zip and you should be able to open it.

How are you saving the files? Are you just clicking and letting them download or are you right clicking and doing a save or download as...?

I can't Add the POI to my One-XL

I follow step by step of what you've wrote.. After I open the TomTom Home on my computer, and go to my POI list, the computer won't allow me to add any files from my desk top....
Is it because I am using a different version of Tom Tom Home in my computer?

Please Help.....

Thanks

poi showing up twice

I've copied over the .ov2 and the .bmp but I'm having two problems when I browse them through the tomtom 130s. The first is that I've added a bunch of custom pois and they are not interspersed in alphabetical order with the default ones. First it lists the new ones I added in alpha and then it lists the default ones in alpha. How do I get them interspersed. They all start with a capital letter so it shouldn't be a case thing.

Second, some of the custom pois show up twice. First, with a red square indicating a missing .bmp and without any actual poi's in it and then further down in the list, with the correct icon and with the poi's in it.

I've copied over the .ov2 and the .bmp but I'm having two problems when I browse them through the tomtom 130s. The first is that I've added a bunch of custom pois and they are not interspersed in alphabetical order with the default ones. First it lists the new ones I added in alpha and then it lists the default ones in alpha. How do I get them interspersed. They all start with a capital letter so it shouldn't be a case thing.

Second, some of the custom pois show up twice. First, with a red square indicating a missing .bmp and without any actual poi's in it and then further down in the list, with the correct icon and with the poi's in it.

If I'm understanding your post correctly, you can only make changes to custom poi's, not default ones in terms of name changes, etc. So, it may be a reason custom ones 'rise to the top'.

The second situation may be one of two things, that I can think of. First, you have the same data in two .ov2 files but one is NOT exactly named precisely the same as the accompanying .bmp file. So you see the poi twice but the logo just once or, secondly, you have the poi twice, once as a custom item and a second time it is part of the default set which may be the one with the red block (unless the .bmp is NOT named exactly the same as the .ov2, in which case the default may show the logo and the custom the red block).

Just my 2 cents..

I have exactly this issue. I know they are named the same so that is not it:confused:

I've used your instructions to successfully install several third-party POI files, but now I have a question. Each installation creates the appropriate file -- say "Wal-Mart" -- but it also creates another file, like ".Wal-Mart". (Note the . at the beginning.) The former file shows up fine in my POI list. The latter file shows up at the top of the list and is empty. The problem is that I can't find the . file, so I can't get it out of my POI list. Is there some way to remove this bogus file? Any idea why it shows up in the first place? I've tried to find the answer but no luck, so any help you can give m would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Use Explorer. Go to the specific map folder. Look for a file called .wal-mart.ov2 (notice the . at the beginning? The name wal-mart may be slightly different).

If you see such a file, delete it.

I've used your instructions to successfully install several third-party POI files, but now I have a question. Each installation creates the appropriate file -- say "Wal-Mart" -- but it also creates another file, like ".Wal-Mart". (Note the . at the beginning.)

Are you using a PC or MAC as I have seen this behaviour before from MAC based computers but not Windows based machines, I just cannot find the exact post that mentioned what causes this file duplication, something about the way the MAC works IIRC - Mike

Ask a Question