How to get more menu options on models with 'Easymenu'

Thanks everybody!! I have itineraries on my Start 55TM now!

I just want to say thanks to genci88 for your contribution to this thread! :D

Because the informaion you provided I was able to get my Start 55TM setup just the way I want it!

Here is a link to the SdkRegistry folder I used.

http://sdrv.ms/M6QO79

I am so excited that I can now create and use the itinerary function and use the tyre software with my tomtom! :D :cool:

I now know how to modify the menus to add pages or tasks if I want additional functions or to move the tasks.

The only thing that I don't understand is what the BLOCK commands do? I'm in software development but not a programmer so I can modify code but may not have all the concepts down completely.

I'm glad that by chance I purchesed the Start 55TM. Originally I purchased a VIA model at Target, but 2 of them would not power up straight out of the box. I returned both of them and moved on. I believe the newer models will be less accessible and configurable than the Start, XXL, XL, GO, etc.

Thanks again to genci88 and everybody that contributed to this thread.

I was searching all over the web for a solution but it wasn't until I found genci88's solution that I was able to implement a workable solution that did exactly what I wanted!

I think the BLOCK commands just refer to the menu type you are about to modify.

Does this help from the OpenTom site:

Menu Blocks There are three types of menu block,
BLOCK_MAIN BLOCK_PREF BLOCK_CURSOR
The BLOCK_MAIN deals with the main menu pages, the BLOCK_PREF deals with the options that appear in the Change Preferences pages. To make changes to the BLOCK_PREF add a line to the bottom of your .mnu file. BLOCK_CURSOR describes a block of pages which may be displayed in the context of a chosen map location. At least the following tasks are applicable: TASK_PLAN_TO_MAPLOC, TASK_NEARBY_POICAT, TASK_CENTER_ON_MAP, TASK_DO_ADD_FAVOURITE, TASK_CURSOR_INTO_POI, TASK_TRAVEL_VIA.
Look at the original menu structure, in the first block menu (BLOCK_MAIN) , MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_PREFERENCES| item call MENUBLOCK|BLOCK_PREF|BTM_GPS_POSITION| (the second block menu).

See here for more detail.

I just started playing with the .mnu concept and think it's great! Kudos to you folks for pursuing/perfecting this "option". I haven't run thru it all to check each aspect of the menu but it does run on my device so that gives me hope of at least rearranging the menu ordering.

Has anyone figured out how to add/alter the menu options for the quick menu on the XL 340S Live?

Unfortunately, just about all of the menu items that were added since v7 (?) software (such as the "Help me" menu) are coded in a completely different way, so no commends exist for them. I think the same is true for the "quickmenu"

I suspect the only person who knew how the original menu system worked left the company!

Lost my compass or direction option of 350XL

I don't know anything about easy menu or files. All I know is I had the option to to use direction as one of my options. It is no longer there. Any easy way to get it back?

Not sure what you mean by "use direction as one of my options", can you elaborate?

In my driving preferences there are options for what you want displayed on your screen. Such as current time, distance to destination, lane guidance etc. I don't know when it happened but TT must have removed the direction option, because it's not there anymore. I enjoyed seeing what direction I was traveling in. Don't know why they would remove it?

Ah, thanks. yes I seem to remember there was a option for a text display of your heading, but I think that went quite some time ago.

TT will have got rid of for no apparent reason, probably in their drive for "simplicity" (They obviously think we are all idiots who can't bear any challenges in life).

I thought you might be talking about the compass display which has vanished on the newer "NAV3" models, but I think that should still be there for you. I don't have your exact model but I do have a UK XL LIVE and a Go950 and it on those. It's the second option from the bottom on the second screen of Status bar preferences in the menu.

I know that, but it's in a similar range. And I'm only questioning whether the compass display is missing too. I know the XL350 has the simplified "Easy menu" but without seeing one I couldn't be sure whether that affects your options for what is displayed on the status bar.

The text display of heading went long ago.

I just want to say thanks to genci88 for your contribution to this thread! :D

Because the informaion you provided I was able to get my Start 55TM setup just the way I want it!

Here is a link to the SdkRegistry folder I used.

http://sdrv.ms/M6QO79

I am so excited that I can now create and use the itinerary function and use the tyre software with my tomtom! :D :cool:

I now know how to modify the menus to add pages or tasks if I want additional functions or to move the tasks.

The only thing that I don't understand is what the BLOCK commands do? I'm in software development but not a programmer so I can modify code but may not have all the concepts down completely.

I'm glad that by chance I purchesed the Start 55TM. Originally I purchased a VIA model at Target, but 2 of them would not power up straight out of the box. I returned both of them and moved on. I believe the newer models will be less accessible and configurable than the Start, XXL, XL, GO, etc.

Thanks again to genci88 and everybody that contributed to this thread.

I was searching all over the web for a solution but it wasn't until I found genci88's solution that I was able to implement a workable solution that did exactly what I wanted!

any chance the file from a 55tm would work on a start 45m?

if not , is it possible to activate more menu item on a 45m?

first attempt on a simplified model.
tia,

Absolutely. The only difference between the 45 and 55 is screen size.

Thanks a lot parider for starting this thread and genci88 for the editing.

I removed the Tutorials(they were for the GO) and I added the SwitchMenu.

I do have a small question/request.

Is there a way to an a taskname for Quick Menu for a XL 350M ?!?

If so, what's the taskname ?

Thanks.

PS: For whoever needs my sdkregistry/SwitchMenu folder...I attached it in this post !!!
You also have the sdkregistry/SwitchMenu folder PLUS all the icons(bmp 24b)...in case you wanna change some icons.

Attachments

• TomTom FullMenu.zip
    12.9 KB · Views: 514
  • TomTom FullMenu Icons.zip
    138.6 KB · Views: 529
Last edited:
Hi There! Does anyone know if this wil work on the TomTom XL 335SE TM Model. I tried creating the folder with the .mnu file and added that to the tomtom directory. For some reason that didn't work. If anyone can help me that would be great!! This model has the easy menu which is different than the XL 335 (non SE version).

Thanks!!

Did you place the file into the "sdkregistry" folder on your TomTom?

Did you place the file into the "sdkregistry" folder on your TomTom?

Hi There! Thanks for replying back. I originally created the folder on my desktop and added the file. Then I copied it to my tomtom. I added the folder with the tomtom.mnu file and made sure the extension wasn't hidden so there's no "txt" after mnu. I first tried the menu from parider and then genci88 and nothing happens. I still get the easy menu when turning tomtom back on. The first time I created the menu file I did it in MS Word and saved as txt and then changed to mnu. I tried again using text edit and did the same thing but nothing happend.

Not sure if it matters or not but I did it on a mac. I can try on Windows to see if it makes any difference.

Is the folder name case sensitive? I've tried changing that too. I've attached a screen shot.

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-02-24 at 1.58.56 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2013-02-24 at 1.58.56 PM.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 555
Here's the screen shot of the menu

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-02-24 at 2.04.41 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-02-24 at 2.04.41 PM.png
    47.5 KB · Views: 518
Just in case ... remember, this IS a Linux based system underneath the old DOS file structure. "sdkregistry" is supposed to be in all lower case. The OS may not be able to see "SdkRegistry" as a known folder.

Thanks for your help!! It worked when I tried it on Windows. Now I need to figure out how to get the toggle menu icons for Sound on and off and Day/Night mode icon. I just have sound off icon showing. It doesn't toggle to the sound on icon. Same for the day/night mode. Is this something I can fix in the menu file?

Thanks for all of your help!!

Ask a Question