How to get more menu options on models with 'Easymenu'

If your device supports the "Short Cuts" option you can set a short cut to Map Share then activate the custom menu, when you want Map Share use the short cut, this saves toggling the custom menu on and off.

Carrying out the above means you will lose the "Help Me" function but I have never really seen a need for that, but everything will be available.

You can't add just one or two items to the standard menu you have to create the menu text so it contains a line per option you want on the device. Note some options might not be available from the device due to hardware limitations, for example with the device you have got it would stupid to add any menu items that need the Bluetooth hardware as the hardware isn't physically installed to the device - Mike

Been playing with the TomTom.mnu custom menu and found a few interesting quirks with the version 8.xx and 9.xx Navcores.

1.If you do not define a MENUBLOCK|BLOCK_PREF| in the TomTom.mnu file then the Navcore built in menu will kick in with the MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_PREFERENCES| command. Seems it defaults to the internal menu for lack of anywhere else to go. That then makes all the commands under the "Options" (in Easymenu) or "Preferences" (non Easymenu) hard-coded menu available as if you are in the built-in menu system. The XXL550 with Easymenu has 3-pages of these, the XLIQ Routes has 6-pages, other TT's you can get up to an additional 8-pages in a custom menu with just this single menu command. :)

2.One other quirk related to this, with a V9.xx Navcore if you have a third party program like switchmenu or tripmaster that uses a .cap file and .bmp in the SdkRegistry, the custom menu will add the third party programs to the last page of the "Options" (Easymenu) or "Preferences" (regular menu) automatically, without needing to add or reference the MENUITEM|TASK_SDK command. This is only if you do not define a MENUBLOCK|BLOCK_PREF| and use MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_PREFERENCES| in your custom menu. The built-in menu has always added third-party icons with just a .cap and .bmp in the SdkRegistry but this was an unknown custom menu feature, another indication that this is accessing the hard-coded menu via this tweak. This doesn't work in the V8.xx Navcores I have tried it with.

Those are the functional discoveries . A non-functional discovery is that the BLOCK_CURSOR , which allows changing the menu options for when browsing the map, is no longer functional (V9 Navcore) nor are any of the previously supported sub-commands belonging to it.

I'm attaching my custom menu, which uses the quirks mentioned above, to this post if anyone wants to look at it or play with it. It's a zip file, has the TomTom.mnu and assorted .bmp files that work with this custom menu and also includes the switchmenu program with a modified cap file that lets the switchmenu script run from the SdkRegistry, just unzip or copy the whole contents to the SdkRegistry. As far as I can tell, this custom menu has all the menu commands available that are available in the built-in menus, if you use this on an Easymenu X50 machine it will provide itinerary planning, you can easily add 6 other commands to page-8 and page-9 of this menu, MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE8|***CUSTOM ADDITIONS PAGE 1 of 2***|

Switchmenu allows switching between regular and custom menus, more info here in another post I made about halfway down the page. https://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom...-get-more-menu-options-models-easymenu-7.html

These quirks should work on all version 8.xx & 9.xx Navcores as I described but no guarantees as it's all undocumented.

The attached custom menu should run fine on any version 9 Navcore. There is a lot of room for additional commands to further customise it, also included is a text file of the command list for reference.

Download the custom menu here: CUSTOM MENU

Last edited:
Just bought a XXL550TM and stumbled across this thread. Thanks for all the great information.
I have one question.. I'm using the .mnu that Genci88 posted and would like to start with navigation screen instead of a menu. Can this be done, if so, what changes do I have to make?

Thanks

hello nice thread
has anybody figuired out or have have done the up north feature for the xxl550T????? thanks

You're not trying hard enough.... :cool:

Seriously, to save endless posts trying to work out what you've done or not done, can't you give a bit more information?

You don't even say what model you're using, I had to go back to about page 8 of this topic to find you mentioned an XL350, but I think that's a US model and you're from Scotland!

Ignoring the confusing and very mis-used terms "hard" and "soft" reset, there are two possible "resets"

1. The "Pin reset" - done by stuffing a blunt pin up the reset hole on those (older) models with a reset hole, which is achieved by a ~20 second continuous press on the power switch in all the more recent models

2. The "Return to Factory Settings" done via the settings menu.

Which of these isn't working for you and what happens when you try it?

Well I was told to hold the power button down for 20 second so maybe that's why.

And I have an XL IQ2 which is an XL350 in the US so I often say I have an XL350 as this is a US site.

OK, what happens when you do the 20 sec button press?

can somebody tell me or show me how to add the hide lane images to my 550 like i have on my 540.??
and also the show compass icon so i can turn mine off in the 550 thanks

Sure thing. Here is my custom menu:

----------- BEGIN TomTom.mnu ------------------
MENUBLOCK|BLOCK_MAIN|BTM_GPS_POSITION|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE1| Just a Filler|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE1|
MENUBLOCK|BLOCK_PREF|BTM_DONE|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE2| Navigation|
MENUITEM|TASK_NAVIGATE_TO|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_FIND_ALTERNATIVES|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_ROUTE_INSTRUCTIONS|
MENUITEM|TASK_AVOID_ROUTE_LINE|
MENUITEM|TASK_CONFIRM_DELETE_ROUTE|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE3|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE3| Route|
MENUITEM|TASK_SHOW_MAP|
MENUITEM|TASK_ITINERARY|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_PLAN_ATOB|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_TRAFFIC|
MENUITEM|TASK_SWITCH_NIGHTVIEW|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE4|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE4| POIs-Favorites|
MENUITEM|TASK_ADD_FAVORITE|
MENUITEM|TASK_MAINTAIN_FAVORITES|
MENUITEM|TASK_CONFIGURE_POI|
MENUITEM|TASK_SWITCH_POI|
MENUITEM|TASK_MAINTAIN_POI|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE5|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE5| Preferences|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_VOLUME|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_PROMPT|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_COMPASS|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_TOLL|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_PLANTYPE|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE6|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE6| Information|
MENUITEM|TASK_SWITCH_SOUND|
MENUITEM|TASK_SHOW_GPS_STATUS|
MENUITEM|TASK_ABOUT|
MENUITEM|TASK_EMPTY|
MENUITEM|TASK_EMPTY|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE2|
-------------------END TomTom.mnu -----------------------------

Just copy this (not including the BEGIN and END statements), paste it into a text file, and save the text file as "TomTom.mnu".

Then, attach your TomTom to your computer and create a directory in the root of the TomTom called "sdkregistry". Place the TomTom.mnu in this directory.

Then, simply disconnect the TomTom and when it reboots it will have the new menus.

To switch back to the original Easy Menu, attach it back to your computer and rename the TomTom.mnu file to something else such as Tom.mnu. The default menus will then load.

This menu works perfectly on my XL350. I have not tested it on anything else, but I assume anything with the EasyMenu should work with this.

Hi,
I just try your menu, I want to change the compass, but nothing change, whatever I select, in the compass menu, once I come back it's still on "none"

My device : tomtom 350 xl, app 9.150.554646.2

thank you

Ask a Question