how to download maps?

TomTom Model(s)
xl 330s 1gb
hello,
i recently bought the uk&ireland maps from tomtom site
it says to connect my device to download the map, but there is no maps ?
my payment has gone trough and i have had a email confirming this

my device is a XL 330s with usa_canada maps on
i know i will have to remove this before installing the uk&ireland..

i am useing tomtom home2
useing xp SP2
have also tried windows 7 to update the maps.

totom home does not recognize my device on the tomtom website. which again it does say on the site to use home2 for the XL

this is what i see in my orders

Order #: 32XXXXXXX

Order Date:16-Jun-12 Status:COMPLETED, Paid Shipping Status: -- Total:GBP 39.95

Is there any chance you previously owned another TomTom unit and had connected it to this PC? If so, we may need to untangle that because Home is likely trying to use your old account when contacting the server, and the map will be keyed to your 'new' unit.

If that's not the case, then you'll need to call tech support to iron this out.

i did plug in a tomtom go in a week before i got the XL, but did not have a account on the tomtom site
i uninstalled home before i plugged in my xl

OK. Providing there was no registration of the GO unit using Home, that should not pose any problems since there should be no record of it there. That's not to say that Home won't remember that GO unit, but the TomTom server shouldn't become confused by it.

Just to double check, when Home fires up with your XL330 attached, select "File" and "Login" from the upper left tab of Home. Make sure the account login you see there is the one associated with your XL330.

i have noticed it says
Connected device not linked to this account

The navigation device connected to your computer is not linked to this account.
and will not pick my device up on-line, i have to put the 1st 2 parts of my serial number in, it then says i have to do all via home2.

loaded home2, checked for updates, no download, all up-to-date..

Back to my post #4. Check to see that the email address and password there are the ones you remember being associated with your XL330.

So you are just now getting logged in correctly for this unit? I'm not clear about what you're saying. Was the email/PW combination correct, and are you logged in with that now (sounds like it). Does that change what happens when you fire up Home again? Do you see the map you bought being offered in the list of updates for your XL330?

Oh my - hang on a second. I am just now getting round to reading between the lines. You first mentioned that your XL330S has a usa_canada map on it. At the same time, I'm just NOW (duh) noticing that you are located in Doncaster, UK.

Is there some additional backstory on this unit that we should know? Has this unit previously been registered by someone else???

i have no idea if this unit has been registered before, i got it from ebay to put the uk+ireland maps on, after reading it was possible to do so..

did not think it was this hard to sort tbh, if i knew it was i would of bought a different system...

Last edited by a moderator:
OK - this is most assuredly your malfunction. If that unit has previously been registered by someone else, then there is already a different email/password (account) associated with your unit's serial number. The TomTom server wants to deliver the map to a version of Home that is running with the original account login. You REALLY need to contact customer support about this to untangle it.

It's not the system that's the problem -- it's buying a piece of used kit without the original owner's login information. Perhaps you can still get that from the seller?

It's really no different than buying a used XM/Sirius radio for your car and not getting the original passcode that came with it.

Hi Alfie
Sorry I did not register this on TomTom home, it's probably still with the original owner, who is in the USA.
Regards
Hamish

o well worth a try....

If you can backtrack one owner further, having the original info might stand you in better stead with tech support when you make that phone call. If not, you'll have some additional explaining to do.

I doubt i would get the info of the the previous owner , so guess i will have to explain to tech support, if not i will get a refund for my map and not loose as much money..

Guess it a lesson learn't with the tomtomn device been second hand, will remember if i ever buy another...

I need a sat nav as i help out at local air cadets. (children 13-17)
We go all over with them, so a sat nav def comes in handy..

Last edited:
Can you still imagine hearing the 616 and 271 flying overhead?

Ask a Question