how to add more poi categories??

oh I know how to create them. but it only lets me create a certain number of categories. I wanted to know if there was a way to upgrade the system so I can add more. thanks

Not that I'm aware of. This is a limitation of the firmware, I believe.

What is the limit? i.e. how many POI categories can you have?
Ryan, I understand the limit to be 100 custom POI files. It doesn't appear that there is an individual limit for each .ov2 file, just on the total number of .ov2 files.

It also looks like they're used in the order that they were added and not in alphabetical order if you go over the 100 limit, meaning if you add five over the limit (for a total of 105), and they all begin with "A", then those five will not show up even though they come before many others alphabetically.

I've submitted a request to TomTom that they further increase this limit to around maybe 500! :) Yes, I'm becoming a POI whore. ;-)

Bryan

The limit is 100 user-added POI categories, though there is no limit to the amount of POI's in a category. So, you can combine certain POI categories.

Also, it is possible to create your own poi.dat file to replace the pre-installed TomTom one. By doing this you can include as many categories as you like without using any of your 100 limit. But, you will lose all the pre-installed ones.

I actually requested today that TomTom upgrade their custom POI support to 250 or more! :) Of course I did this on a support call and was told I would have an answer tomorrow to this question and when my freakin mount would arrive tomorrow at 3:00 pm. We'll see what they say.

I'll keep you posted.

EDIT: You guys might want this: http://www.tomtomsatnav.info/poidat.html

Bryan

Last edited:

Ask a Question