No VR address imput anymore

TomTom Model(s)
Go 530
Anyone help- I`v got a go530 had VR imput did use it worked well, I updated a freinds One v3 through my home several days ago and ever since my go has had termanal illness, no VR icons there at all anymore,had to put the support_asr.dat file into the ASR folder(I am very much a rooky at all this,just read a string and started looking and doing) cspeech files for GB ROI on the device(dont know if that make a difference?) any help greatfully recieved !! The thing even told me that voice controle not available because I didnt have a use`able voice(it never had voice controle too start with)
App 8.351 (9982/090518) OS:315187 GPS v1.20, Boot 5.5120 Map UK_ROI_v825.2157.
If I have posted this wrongly "SORRY" in advance. on the verg of putting it under a car never mind in one!!

After reading through one or two threads, I think Im gona end up getting new TT-No first backup a didnt think I was that stupid but there you go I am !!

Last edited:
1. There ARE csspeech files in the specific map folder?

2. You did put the file: support_asr.dat with ONLY a 1 in it, no spaces, quotes or anything in the asr folder. (Also, make sure that, if you created the file, it was saved as support_asr.dat and NOT as support_asr.dat.txt. To check this: Control Panel-->Folder Options-->View-->Advanced, make sure 'show extension for known file types IS checked).?

3. If 'yes' to 1 and 2, have you selected a computer voice?

4. If 'yes' to 3, try a rest of the unit.

cspeech

Yes there are two of them GB_ROI. yes I put the support file in and checked that it was just 1 in size etc. yes to all and have reset aswell, run the clearflash, pin reset tried putting older App back on(witch I seen offered by one of the users on here) it did go back but still the same-no VR address imput icons at all, the unit seems to be working fine in all other areas !

Last edited:
I`v ran a dsk chk and it has come up with two probs-file 0000.chk-4KB and 0000.chk-16KB. aswell as one from before file 0001.chk-16KB, I dont know what that means I realy am a rank amature at all this, though I think I am learning fast (which mite not be a good thing ?) am thinking that I must have done something un`knowingly which has fried the unit. Looks like I am going to have to part with some more hard earned cash, only this time the very first thing I will be doing is MAKE A BACKUP like I should have done in the first place !!

Just be advised that Windows will report .chk files as 'recovered files' when they may not be. The TT application is linux based. It deals with .chk files in a different manner.

Did you select a computer voice as I asked earlier?

Yes I have a computer voice selected, as I say the icons are not showing at all on the device, dont know if you picked up on the fact that it was(it isnt anymore) telling me that I could not use voice control function due to no useable voice, but the 530 never had voice control asfar as I know. is it possable that I have wiped out something that is causing these problems ??

In your first post, you said the 530 did have VR and it was working well. Now you say as far as you know the 530 never had VR. Which is it?

(We do not have that model in North America so I'm not up on the information)

Yes it did have VR address imput only, and it was working, I had used it. But it had been telling me that voice comand control (as the x40 range have) was not available due to no use`able voice(ie-no computer voice) what I was saying is that it never had voice comand control only voice address imput. I`v been looking through it and have noticed that in the root folder the files "data_lim.chk-ra-sp-ts, etc are now opening with notepad and I am sure that when I try`d to look at then before it would not allow me to saying that they opened with an unknown app ?? Maybe I have got that wrong ? Allso the info that you can get by holding the power button I have noticed that there is a change in the Sub ID (feature) 01: 0000000000000000, when it used to read 01: 0000000000000001. Dont know if that relevant or not ? To be hounest a think it is gona be a very expencive lesson for me !

Last edited:
I wish I could help you more. There must be something obvious I should be able to say or direct you to do. But I'm at a loss right now. Perhaps, someone wiser than I (there are lots here) may provide better information for you.

Lacking that, I guess youll have to deal with UK support..........

I am very greatfull for any help, you all know very much more than I from what I`v read so far, as I say I think it has been something that I have done, which will prob mean that my waranty is nill an void no doubt. but on the brite side atleast I now have a TT to experiment with, even if it has cost me several hundred ?? sob sob. do you know if I should have more than two cspeech files or is that corect ? Allso the startup screen is now just blank no pic at all, are you able to point me in the rite direction too fix that ? I have Email`d TT support and the advice so far has been to wipe out all loose filles in root follder and update through home, which I did but jst the same result, I havent said anything about trying help from any third party to TT support though, didnt think they would understand ha.

Last edited:
If the startup screen is blank, it means you either do not have a startup.bmp file in the root of the unit or the application is not recognizing it.

My understanding is that calling support is more effective than emailing; I've found that certainly is the case for North American support.

there is a splashw.bmp file there in the root I got it through home so as you say it cant be being recognized for some resson ? I will try phoning the support first thing/later this morning(3.22am here, daylight jst breaking) off wrk for day or three so trying too get upto speed with few things. Can I jst say many thanks for your time and help, you have prob given this same advice many many times to many many foke ! are you able to say whether I should have more than the two cspeech files or not ?? an if I should have more where I could get them ?

I will let you know how I get on with support as an when I speak to them. Am off to walk the dog an give my eyes a rest for now.

Last edited:
Fedup go530,

I want to help but first want to understand your problem.
When you select Navigate...To
i4rcj8.jpg
Address
30lgcpu.jpg

Are you saying that your screen looks like this (Icon's disabled)?
4u994i.jpg

If it is like this then dhn is giving you the correct advice and you need a support_asr.dat in the ASR folder on the root of your drive.

It is a text file.
When you open it with notepad it will just have 1 in it nothing else.

That and maybe a State/Region selected as mentioned in my other post.

If your screen is like this with no icons?
331gj90.jpg

I am not experienced with this one but think that maybe it could be either missing cspeech files or files in the ASR folder that would be the cause.

That or the map does not support VR address input.

Last edited:
Fedup go530

You say that you are using Map UK_ROI_v825.2157
I am thinking that you got this map as with a LMG so it should be downloaded on your computer.

Using Windows Explorer (Windows Key + E) go to
My Documents\TomTom\Home\Download\Complete\Map

You should see a Folder Named something like UK_ROI or something

In That folder would be a ZIP named UK_ROI .Zip or similar

In that Zip would be your missing cspeech files (if you have any missing).

Yes the unit defo did have VR voice address imput, I had used it. I will go look see if the files you say should be there ,are there ? I did have to put the support_asr.dat file in my self (into ASR folder) And yes the icons are not there at all though as eye said-they defo were. I will get back to ya`s in a mo or two.

Just had a look, no file matching what you said to look for, I have two cspeech_files--cspeech_GBR.dat,14.759KB cspeech_IRL.dat,1,703KB both in the United_Kindom_and_Republic_Of_Ireland folder which is in the root of TT. hope that is more help too you ?

Last edited:
I do think that I have wiped somthing from the unit, how many cspeech files should there be ?? I dont have a first backup I foolishly didnot make one. is there some way that I can get and reload App 8.302 which was the App that was on when i got the unit ?? then it updated to 8.350 and then 8.351, I realy dont know what I`v done or how I have managed it. And thanks by the way for your time and help, very much needed and apreciated !! just looked again and seen that the navcore is (e-mail address removed), dont know if that any help ?

Last edited:
Fedup go530

So your Navigate to looks like the second image then.

I am thinking for your Map there are only two cspeech files
(Sounds like you are good to go there)

Now to see if we can identify anything missing.
I assume you are running windows.

1. Open a DOS Terminal
    (Windows Key + R) - This will bring up a Run Dialog Box
  2. Type in cmd and press enter
    This will start the DOS Terminal
  3. Copy and paste this (Right Click the Title Bar and select Edit, Paste) or type it in
    cd "%USERPROFILE%\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\complete"
  4. Again Copy and paste this or type it in
    dir /b /s > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\TTHome.txt"
    This will create a text file on your Desktop named TTHome.txt
    The file will contain the name and directory of every fill Home has downloaded

Attach this file to a reply by using Additional Options found bellow the Submit Reply & Preview Post buttons.
Let's also get a list of the files on your TomTom

Do you know the drive letter of your TomTom?[\b]

I will assume that you do and in this case it is drive T for TomTom

1. In The same DOS Terminal Type the following
    cd T:
    This will change to drive T
  2. Copy and paste this or type it in
    dir /b /s > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\MyTT.txt"

Also Attach this MyTT.txt file
With these two text files we can see just your file names and directories not their contents or size.

Hopefully, we can use them to help you.

Well it would seem that I have got navagate to spoken address (dialogue) back, but only through the quick menu option, there still are not any icons in the other menu ? I was playing (since I had decided that it was beond repair) got event logger loaded it on, it didnt work so I read through the txt docs on it, decided to remove and read something about if there was a file in the iti folder it would have to be removed(I think due to it would interfear with event loger) so when I wiped the files out I wiped the iti folder aswell, then did factoey reset,then switch on looked through seen that spoken address wasnt in menu, got to quick menu and it was there and yes it works. I cant explain it ?? would still like to get the thing back to all singing all dancing. I am not realy very good with computers, but I will try what you are saying to check, if you still think that it needs it ?? Ment to say yes windows Vista sercive 2,

update on what I said before -- I wiped out two folders (itn- "Temporay.iti- ITI File-1kb) and (statdata-"disallowtrip.dat-1kb, as I say I did this in blind ignorance based on that it was broke and I could not break it any worse than it was!! it would be nice to know exactly what hapened to it and how it could have come about ??

tried and failed to get info from instuctions, the download folder is empty, i have made a copy of my device and will try to paste it,well you prob have guesed I cant do what I try. While I remember-the only file that has come back after I wiped them is the itn file--the statdata file hasent shown up again ?? oh and I forgot to mention-I did clearflash 5 times in a row aswell(dont know if that helped or not ?) but the spoken address icon and the spoken address (dialogue) icon still not showing, i can get the function through the quick menu though. Sorry I havent been of more help in giving the info asked for !!

Ask a Question