How often does your TT reboot?

TomTom Model(s)
XL350TM
Mine has been doing it maybe 1, 2 times a day. It goes back to the startup screen and shows a harddisk symbol on the bottom of the screen.

What could possibly cause it since I only had it for a few days? Is there a fix or interim solution? This is making me nervous about the machine. Thx.

Last edited:
He's saying it only reboots when he forces it to.

As for me:
My 720 never spontaneously reboots.
My 740 is running firmware 9.056 and reboots by itself once in a while early in a journey, but never thereafter. I've heard that if I am diligent about clearing the route at the end of each trip, I may see less of this. Have started doing so, and will see what results.

So there's no way around it? What if I use a staple to prick the 'reset' hole? Would that work or just reinstall the original folders/files?

So there's no way around it? What if I use a staple to prick the 'reset' hole? Would that work or just reinstall the original folders/files?
Pressing the recessed reset button in the bottom of the models that have this feature doesn't replace anything -- it simply allows you to reboot the unit (with the same files in place). What it does do is force a wipe of DRAM and performs some other housekeeping tasks that occur during boot. It's most often used in the same way and for the same reason that you may occasionally reboot your computer.

Pressing the recessed reset button in the bottom of the models that have this feature doesn't replace anything -- it simply allows you to reboot the unit (with the same files in place). What it does do is force a wipe of DRAM and performs some other housekeeping tasks that occur during boot. It's most often used in the same way and for the same reason that you may occasionally reboot your computer.

Does it really work to lessen reboots? Just to confirm, so my personal settings, e.g. Favorites, would remain unaffected? Thx.

Does it really work to lessen reboots? Just to confirm, so my personal settings, e.g. Favorites, would remain unaffected? Thx.
I have no idea if manually rebooting will lessen random reboots. As I noted, I've heard that just clearing your current route before turning the unit off seems to have some good results.

Rebooting your unit with the switch won't bother your favorites. They are stored in a file called mapsettings.cfg and it will be right there when you boot up again.

Another silly ques: I press that 'reboot' hole when the GPS is *on*, right?
It will have the same result, either way. Your GPS is never really 100% "off". If you do it with the unit off, then the next time you power up, you'll see the boot screen before you see your normal "splash" screen, and you'll have to click on the "I agree", etc.

as you can see from this thread
https://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom-one-start-ease-xl-xxl/23017-xl340tm-live.html

now on my 3rd XL340 TM live and it only restarted once in 2-3 weeks. I will give it longer, this one seems to respond faster then the previous two.

I have a XL350TM...not sure if that makes any diff? I note that all my reboots happen when it was *not* connected to anything, never when on route (knock on wood). Only when I was just fooling around w/ it inside my home.

Ask a Question