How often do QuickGPS Fix downloads present themselves?

I have been haviing some problems with QuickGPS Fix after reformatting my device. Before the reformat, it seemed the Quick GPS Fix downlioads presented themselves on every day that I would log int to TomTom Home (often consecutive days)

In other places, I have seen where they should only present themselves once a week?

If I use my gps everyday, do I still need this QuickGPSfix file? Doesn't the gps remember the satellite location once locked? :confused:

I don't dind any benefit from using qGPS in fact quite the opposite I never bother with it these days, use the GPS device on a regular (daily) basis and it provides no advantage from what have experianced - Mike

Agreed Mike. Even letting either of my TT's sit for a week, the lock is fairly quick, nearly always under a minute. Now if you've let it sit for a month and plan to use it the next day, then a download of the quickfix file will certainly speed up the sat acquisition (or at least it should). Otherwise for those using it several times a week, the more recent quickfix files can be way more trouble than they're worth. More than one flawed one in the past few months.

Just to counterbalance the discussion, I find quickgpsfix very helpful.

Tomtoms usually get a signal pretty quickly outdoors while standing still. However there's only one general direction out of my house, and I usually start driving before turning on and choosing my destination on the Tomotm.

Once the Tomtom is moving, it has a very difficult time getting a signal without quickgpsfix (if it's been more than 3-4 hours since it's last been on). With quickgpsfix it gets a signal in seconds no matter how fast/slow I'm moving.

The problem with quickgpsfix is that once every couple of months, Tomtom screws up the download, and gives a bad file. When that happens, you get a bad GPS location or no signal at all for a while until Tomtom can fix itself with the satellites.

Also, another hassle is that if you don't have a bluetooth model, you have to plug in every few days to download it. An expired quickgpsfix confuses the Tomtom just like a bad file does.

If you're not getting any downloads, its usually due to the previously mentioned "bad file". To fix it, wait a day or two until the bad file goes away, then in Manage my device, remove all quickgpsfix files from the computer and the Tomtom. Then go to Update my device and Tomtom should give you a new file.

i used my tomtom all the time even when i go to places i normally go to lol

if my device finds the signal quickly i'll never bother downloading the new gpsquickfix even though it's available........ i only download when i feel the need to do so.

I also am having a good experience with QuickGPSfix. My TomTom One 140 is able to get a satellite lock in 3-5 seconds upon power on with an updated QuickGPSfix. Takes apx. 30 seconds without QuickGPSfix - even when using multiple times per day.

It's not that much of a hassle to hook up your TomTom to your computer and run Home to update it once or twice a week. This also gets you the map fixes more often and allows your map corrections to make their way to TomTom for distibution to other TomTom owners.

Maybe 5 seconds vs. 30 seconds isn't a bid deal for most. But when I turn on my car I am ready to drive to my next destination immediately. I don't want to be sitting their waiting for the GPS to lock before knowing which way to turn next :)

Last edited:

Ask a Question