920 computer voice often truncates words & is not understandable

One of the big reasons to buy the 920 is spoken street names (now a common feature among all brands costing much less), yet often my 920 seems to only pronounce every third or fourth syllable. It almost seems like the CPU can't keep up with what needs to be said so it just skips many syllables.

What's up with that? Did I buy the wrong GPS?

Not sure this will help, but you migh try turning off some of the POIs you've selected to be displayed. Too many POIs add to the demand of the processor. Many here have suggested not showing more than 3 categories of POIs.

Hope this helps.

One of the big reasons to buy the 920 is spoken street names (now a common feature among all brands costing much less), yet often my 920 seems to only pronounce every third or fourth syllable. It almost seems like the CPU can't keep up with what needs to be said so it just skips many syllables.

What's up with that? Did I buy the wrong GPS?
Right GPS, but perhaps the wrong firmware. Nearly all of us have noted that firmware version 8.3 has caused stuttering and the sort of problem you mention above, especially on longer street names and those that contain numerous "subnames". Some later 720 and 920 units have come with 8.300 preinstalled. Press on the "5 bar" status indicator on the first screen and you should see your firmware level. If it is 8.300, you'll want to report back here -- and then you can talk with all here to decide whether trying to roll back to firmware 8.010 is something you need to attempt.

Believe me, TT has had an earful about the stuttering/truncation problem since the recent 8.3 release. I have no doubt they'll come up with a fix to this before long -- it must be costing them a fortune in tech support calls.

Right GPS, but perhaps the wrong firmware. Nearly all of us have noted that firmware version 8.3 has caused stuttering and the sort of problem you mention above, especially on longer street names and those that contain numerous "subnames". Some later 720 and 920 units have come with 8.300 preinstalled. Press on the "5 bar" status indicator on the first screen and you should see your firmware level. If it is 8.300, you'll want to report back here -- and then you can talk with all here to decide whether trying to roll back to firmware 8.010 is something you need to attempt.

Believe me, TT has had an earful about the stuttering/truncation problem since the recent 8.3 release. I have no doubt they'll come up with a fix to this before long -- it must be costing them a fortune in tech support calls.

Hi all. Yup, it came with 8.300 pre-installed.

If I were to roll it back (not that I even know how), would 8.010 definitively fix the stuttering? What would the other side-effects of 8.010 be, both positive and negative? (And would 8.010 fix the problem of my 920 powering itself up?)

If I knew that TT was actually working on a fix I might just stick it out and wait, but who knows? They may have already forgotten about the 920 to focus on newer products.

Thank you for your support! :)

Not sure this will help, but you migh try turning off some of the POIs you've selected to be displayed. Too many POIs add to the demand of the processor. Many here have suggested not showing more than 3 categories of POIs.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tip, but it had no effect.

Hi all. Yup, it came with 8.300 pre-installed.

If I were to roll it back (not that I even know how), would 8.010 definitively fix the stuttering? What would the other side-effects of 8.010 be, both positive and negative? (And would 8.010 fix the problem of my 920 powering itself up?)

If I knew that TT was actually working on a fix I might just stick it out and wait, but who knows? They may have already forgotten about the 920 to focus on newer products.

Thank you for your support! :)
You would lose some of the features of the newer firmware including lane guidance and 8GB+ SD card support. Of course, you'd GAIN the use of directions broadcast to your car's FM radio again -- they dropped that in 8.300 and are getting an earful for that, too.

The Key Issue
As I understand it, you'd also need the prior map set. I understand that the new map set (that I'm pretty sure you will have on your TT since it came with firmware 8.300) that was released with firmware 8.300 is not backward compatible with previous firmware (e.g., 8.010). Getting the prior map set would require a serious pow-wow with tech support since you'd be requesting that they "push" the old map set to you as well. Understand that TT maps are "keyed" to your unit serial number, so you can't just grab one from one us like you could the 8.010 firmware -- if it were possible, you can bet we'd get it to you in a heartbeat and you'd be set.
The Key Issue

Yes, 8.010 most assuredly will resolve the stuttering problem. It did not begin until the release of 8.300, and then only on the "text to speech" computer voices. Since I'd already had 8.010 loaded before receiving 8.300 during an "upgrade", I was in a position to revert to where I'd been. Always do a full Windows copy (with hidden/system files visible) of your TT when it's in a stable and known state!

As I noted, TT has unquestionably been getting an earful on this issue, and has responded to some who have emailed. I wish I could guess when they'll get it fixed. Of some interest -- there is a version of Navcore out there at version 8.3XX for another product category that does not exhibit the problem, so one suspects they will get a handle on this problem pretty quickly. How soon they'll release the fix is the real question.

Feel free to call their tech support folks and add your whine to the many they've already received. Perhaps if their call center goes into a stuttering meltdown, we'll get quicker action. It was tempting to conduct my entire 2nd call to them in a stuttering voice. Hey, a fine idea, that. Everyone stutter when you talk to the support folks, causing as much confusion and delay as firmware 8.300 is causing us! Perhaps if the support folks are driven to distraction by *that*, they'll be able to better communicate our frustration in return!:p

Ask a Question