920 not recognized by computer

TomTom Model(s)
2535 TM
I just updated my TT920 with version 8.300. Now when I try to connect the TT to the computer I get a pop-up message saying that my "USB device is not recognized."

Seems like too much of a coincidence. Is anyone else having this problem? Any suggestions on how to fix it? I'm running Windows with XP Media Edition. Everything's been working great until this.

Thanks!

Hello dhn !

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a pin reset ?

Since I downloaded the 8.3 version, I have many problems. No more FM transmission, voice is cracking, cannot connect to Home 2.4, and my car run tracking is anywhere but on the road.

It took one year to make it work correctly. When they decided to give me the new navcore 8, my GPS GO920T was perfect , until this stupid V8.3.

You would think they do some testing before sending it to everyone. Maybe they need everyone to do there R&D for them ?

Please could you tel me with the pin reset, so I can try to go back to my previous setting which by chance I made a backup.

Thank you,
George

Hello dhn !

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a pin reset ?

Since I downloaded the 8.3 version, I have many problems. No more FM transmission, voice is cracking, cannot connect to Home 2.4, and my car run tracking is anywhere but on the road.

It took one year to make it work correctly. When they decided to give me the new navcore 8, my GPS GO920T was perfect , until this stupid V8.3.

You would think they do some testing before sending it to everyone. Maybe they need everyone to do there R&D for them ?

Please could you tel me with the pin reset, so I can try to go back to my previous setting which by chance I made a backup.

Thank you,
George

First, a pin reset will not cure the problem caused by the loss of fm frequency. That was caused by the firmware 8.3 upgrade.

A pin reset refers to putting a paper clip into the 'reset' hole on the bottom of the unit. It's marked but make sure the paper clip (straightened, of course) into the correct opening. Hold for about 5 seconds. Can do it with unit on.

Hopefully, your backup was done with Explorer, not Home. Butm if you have one, you can remove the loose files in the root of your unit (NO folders or their contents) and replace with the loose files in your backup.

There have been cases where Home's backup misses files and cases where files get corrupted during backups. also cases where the Home restore doesn't work.

Finally, Home overwrites previous backups rather than putting each new backup in a separate folder, which is much preferable.

All in all, while Home's backup process is somewhat easier than doing it using Explorer, it's much better having peace of mind that your backup is reliable if and when it is needed for restore purposes. And that is using Explorer.

Lost in Connection

Mr. DHN...I'm having the same issue with my TT920. Everytime I try to connect to my computer, the devise is not recognized by Windows (XP). I've tried the link you posted, I've spoken to a TT representative, and I even bought a new dock for my TT920 to no prevail. I also tried a digital camera USB connector but it didn't work. TT rep said I might have to send them my devise but that would leave my vulnerable to getting lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Last edited:
I assume you have done the pin reset.

Have you tried a different computer (since you did the reset) ?

Worse case - they will probably RMA it and return you a refurbished unit. You can insure the RMA return, so you will be protected.

It could be worse - I had a 910 that had USB problems - took my computer down one time. I finally ended up with an exchanged unit, and never had any more issues with it.

If the camera isn't recognized either, it may be an issue with a faulty usb port, especially if it is in the front of the unit and MOST defintely if the usb port is in the keyboard.

Try a different port (in the back).

If no luck, you may need Device Manager in System Accessories to see if there is an issue. You could remove the usb connections and have Windows rebuild them on boot up of the computer.

Worse case - they will probably RMA it and return you a refurbished unit.
I know that's what they do, but I've got a problem with the approach. On units with early or especially out-of-box failures, seems to me a new unit is more appropriate, especially on an older model with who-knows-how-many miles on the original battery?

When I returned my two week old unit last January (failure of the GPS chip), I got a refurb unit in return. It doesn't hold a charge as long as my original, and the touch screen doesn't seem to have the same sensitivity. TT didn't really want to hear about it. Still working, but the swap didn't seem fair to me.

Ask a Question