920 goes off, must be reset when connecting to computer

My 920, since new, will go off and must be physically reset whenever connected to computer, (various Macs), when I press the "connect to computer" button on the TT. The unit will not start again, at all, until I do a manual reset... I've even made a special tool for the purpose. Have always had latest OS and maps installed and regularly connect to TT Home Map Share. TT Service had no answers. Once reset, all starts and works as normal, but the start-up is from the boot level.

Thanks for any help!

What is the application on your unit? (Should be 8.351) and have you tried uninstalling & reinstalling the application?

Hi, yes the OS is 8.351 and though I've not re-installed it, this issue has been the same with all OS's since new, ('97), and with various Mac computers, also with latest and even older OS's.

My 720 abused me about USB connections for a couple of years. Either it would never ask if I wanted to connect to begin with, or if it did, and I hit "Yes", the unit wouldn't send correct/appropriate information to the PC. I would hear the connection 'ding' from the OS (I was on Windows), but Home had no idea anything was connected. It appeared as an "unknown device" to the O.S. (either the VID or PID or both were hosed).

Clearly these units' low level USB firmware goes out to lunch now and again. Yours is the third different style of malfunction I've heard along these lines.

After some update or another, it suddenly stopped. Prior to that, I had a fat paperclip on my desk that I always kept unbent for the purpose. Never did figure out why the hard reset was necessary, but it always connected properly after the reset. Tech support was unable to sort my situation out, either.

Hello canderson,

Misplaced post, sorry, moved it to your PM.

(nothing saucy though) :)

Last edited:

Ask a Question