How do you "clean up" your POI's ??

I'm a newbie; I've got the TomTom One up and running on my computer.

I installed some POI's .. Baskin Robbins, Chili's, Retail Stores ... etc etc. These POI's show up twice in the My Computer list when I'm at Tom Tom Home ... and only once in the My One portion. That can't be right.

How can I clean this up and start with a empty clean POI slate ??

from the change preference menu. select manage POI's. Select your option edit / delete/ add. The follow the on screen prompts.

I actually fixed some starbucks and bestbuy today.

Cheers!

Thank you pilot518 !! Like I said I'm a total newbie, and having a tough time understanding the connection between Home and the device itself.

I'm running version 1.5 of Home, so I'm not able to to delete these POI's from Home. When I disconnect the One, and try the Change Preferences /Manges POI's ..... edit / delete/ add are grayed out, which would seem like I have no POIs installed on the unit, BUT they are on / in Home when I connect.

I hope that makes sense.

However, when the One is one, I can hit navigate to a POI near me - say within 30 miles, and see LOTS of POI's listed.
This is frustrating .. one would think that you could manage/edit/delete all these POI's from Home !!

* Computer info:

Operating system: Windows XP (build 2600, Service Pack 2)
Free memory: 507011072 bytes
User home directory: "C:\Documents and Settings\PurpleDog"
Home volume space: 34917 / 114219 MB
Temporary directory: "C:\DOCUME~1\PURPLE~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\"
Temp volume space: 34917 / 114219 MB
Install directory: "C:\Program Files\TomTom HOME\"
Install volume space: 34917 / 114219 MB
External volume devices: F:\ [TOMTOM DISK] 30 / 963 MB
OS login name: "PurpleDog"
Host name: "toshiba-user.b2xonline.com"
Date and time: 2007-09-17 21:04:01

* HOME info:

HOME Version: 1.5.106
Language: en_US
Service discovery server sweet.tomtom.com requires no proxy
Connection state: logged in as "[email protected]"
Loaded device dll: none

* Connected device: "TomTom ONE New Edition "TOMTOM DISK""

ID: "AK4SG AAMS2"
Serial: "E13366J00238"
IL #1: 'Memory Card' 30 free/963 total MB Block Size 16384 Media Name 'Storage' serial $54c360b9, Writable

19 Installed Items:
Application:
'TomTom application for GO, ONE and RIDER', ID Navigator IL #1 8320 KB Version 6.560
Maps:
'Guam', ID Guam(14460404,1323204,14495948,1366549)00 IL #1 496 KB Version 650
'Usa And Canada', ID USA_and_Canada(-17679474,1765935,-4985187,7439937)00 IL #1 918064 KB Version 665
Voices:
'Lisa', ID Deutsch - Lisa IL #1 832 KB Version 4
'Tim', ID English(UK) - Tim IL #1 688 KB Version 4
'Jane', ID English(UK) - Jane IL #1 688 KB Version 4
'Lori', ID English(US) - Lori IL #1 624 KB Version 4
'Bonnie', ID English(US) - Bonnie IL #1 640 KB Version 4
'Richard', ID English(US) - Richard IL #1 672 KB Version 4
'Marta', ID Espa?ol - Marta IL #1 864 KB Version 4
'Jacques', ID Fran?ais - Jacques IL #1 688 KB Version 4
'Catherine', ID Fran?ais - Catherine IL #1 672 KB Version 4
'Chiara', ID Italiano - Chiara IL #1 736 KB Version 4
'Mandy', ID English(US) - Mandy IL #1 720 KB Version 4
'Antonio', ID Espa?ol - Antonio IL #1 896 KB Version 4
'Ken', ID English(Australian) - Ken IL #1 720 KB Version 1
Satellite imagery:
'Usa', ID usa IL #1 8992 KB Version 1
QuickGPSfix data:
'Ephemeris', ID Ephemeris IL #1 80 KB Version 1190484766
Phone database:
'Connect2Internet', ID connect2internet IL #1 432 KB Version 14

* Backup info:

No backups.

* Run-time variables:

sDeviceCode = "AK4SGAAMS2"
sDeviceMUID = "E13366J00238"
sDeviceType = "onev3"
sLastConnectedDevice = "onev3"
sLoginType = "User"
sUsername = "[email protected]"
sSessionId = "7a128191:baba37bd:00000000:00000000:00000000:00000000:iueei8gg29dvll228lp0ioqo42"
sBrowserComponentType = "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; Media Center PC 4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)"
sFlashVersion = "9"
sSoftwareVersion = "6.560"

* Number of outstanding timers: 1

2007-09-18T01:28:41, secs: 21600 (360 min), type: POLL, ID: PollTimer

Last edited:
I'm a newbie; I've got the TomTom One up and running on my computer.

I installed some POI's .. Baskin Robbins, Chili's, Retail Stores ... etc etc. These POI's show up twice in the My Computer list when I'm at Tom Tom Home ... and only once in the My One portion. That can't be right.

How can I clean this up and start with a empty clean POI slate ??

Delete all the OV2 files, and in the MAP folder. You don't have to use TomTom Home to do this , just treat TomTom as a removable disk.

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks lec. I deleted all the ov2 files I could find.

This has to be the most frustrating device I've ever worked with.

When my One is attached to my computer, and I open Home, you STILL SEE files named:

Baskin Robbins -- 2 files
Dunkin Donuts -- 2 files
Chili's -- 1 file
McDonalds -- 1 file
Retail Stores -- 1 file
US Retail Stores -- 1 file

This "Home" program is the most counter intuitive thing Ive ever seen in my entire life. Ive tried everything I can think of to delete these files, but cant. When I click on each file they are selected to install. I've tried installing them and then deleting them .. they STILL show up in MY Computer section of Home.

Is there a way I can restore my unit to new and start completely over ??

I believe I understand your problem.

There are built-in POI's and custom POI's. The built-in POI's cannot be deleted from HOME nor on your device. The custom POI's can be deleted from both locations, HOME and on the device.

Now, reading your posts above, it seems you have gotten rid of all your custom POI's and now left with the built-in POI's. Your device is clean of POI's you installed.

The problem is that you are seeing the POI's that are saved on your computer, not on the device.

Assuming that you downloaded the following from HOME:

Baskin Robbins
Dunkin Donuts
Retail Stores
US Retail Stores

you should be able to find time located in your \My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads

You should see for example, Baskin_Robbins.cab & Baskin_Robbins.toc. You can delete both. Delete all the files that resemble the names of the POI's that you want to get rid off.

Another place to look at is \My Documents\TomTom\HOME\FromDevice

Delete the files you recognize as being POI's.

That should clean you up.

Digital-flex

Thank you .. thank you .. thank you.

Yes, you did understand the problem I was having and yes, your suggestion on where to find the files was 100% correct. I located them and deleted them. Yay !!!

I myself would prefer to add on POI's via store name and not just add the huge conglomeration of retail stores that TomTom has listed, many of which are incorrect.

Thanks again Digital ... I owe you one !!

Phil
purpledogpromotions.com

Buccaneer,

I was the one that misunderstood the question. D-F was bang on.

I thought you meant to clean up entries in the POIs. Looks like you wanted to delete (clean POIs) off your tomtom. like D-F stated we are here to help, and get help (least for me).

DigiFlex...I am reading with interest the problem solved...however mineis the opposite..I cant figure out how to get the POI's onto my TT. Can you help me?

Worked like a charm

D.F.

Worked like a charm. My problem was that when I unzipped the files they were unzipped into their own folder in the map directory. I moved them out of that directory and ...well I guess I will be stopping at cracker barrel for breakfast on my way to NC this morning.

Thanks again
Tom D:)

This utility is cool to remove duplicates when you merge one or several POI files.

Use POIEdit to merge them (append), save as Garmin CSV format, then use program above to remove the duplicates. Open the result file in POIEdit then save as TomTom OV2.

from the change preference menu. select manage POI's. Select your option edit / delete/ add. The follow the on screen prompts.
QUOTE]

On my TT1 3rd, when I go to the "Change Preference" menu, there is no "Manage POI" to select.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks.

Attachments

• Change Pref_2screen.jpg
    Change Pref_2screen.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 365
  • Change Pref_3screen.jpg
    Change Pref_3screen.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 381
  • Change Pref_1screen.jpg
    Change Pref_1screen.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 384
  • Change Pref_4screen.jpg
    Change Pref_4screen.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 389
  • Change Pref_5screen.jpg
    Change Pref_5screen.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 387
QUOTE]

On my TT1 3rd, when I go to the "Change Preference" menu, there is no "Manage POI" to select.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks.

Wow, so it looks like you don't have 7 pages of Preferences. Do you happen to have a custom menu by chance?

Wow, so it looks like you don't have 7 pages of Preferences. Do you happen to have a custom menu by chance?

No, I don't. I bought this unit at Staples last Friday (Black Friday). Only customization I've done is to add a persoanlized startup splash screen, and my wife's voice.
Should I add a custom menu? If so, how would I do that?

Thanks for your help, this forum is great! And the people who share their expertise here is what makes it so.

No, I don't. I bought this unit at Staples last Friday (Black Friday). Only customization I've done is to add a persoanlized startup splash screen, and my wife's voice.
Should I add a custom menu? If so, how would I do that?

Thanks for your help, this forum is great! And the people who share their expertise here is what makes it so.

Actually, you can try that...use this program to create a custom menu and add that function and see if it will work. Note though you will lose some of NavCore 7 buttons like "Help Me" as those commands are not known.

Link - http://www.gregoryduncan.com/ttmd/index.php

Ask a Question