HOME backup vs EXPLORER backup?

TomTom Model(s)
XL 335*S
How come it takes me all of 1-2 minutes to do an
Explorer Backup of my XL 335*S and over an hour
to do a HOME backup? Makes no sense?

Is the USB port on this unit really that slow or is it
that TT's copy utility is the pits!?!?

Both methods use the USB port. I was very supprised that my new XXL 540 was USB1.1. Who uses 1.1 these days? I didn't even know that the 1.1 chipset was still available! Seems illogical to use 1.1 on a device that you periodically transfer large files.

I'm afraid I was sorely mistaken about the time it takes to do an
EXPLORER backup... I'm doing it on another PC and it's taking just
as long at the HOME backup took!

Either way USB 1.1 is dang slow :)

Home Vs Explorer

Hi I can only say for myself but Backups Via Home take me less than 10min's as it's only copying the changes to your Device since your last back up not backing up the whole Contents like it did on the first occasion.
If your making a new backup every time then it will take longer.
Re: Explorer it takes longer to do it via Explorer as your are copying the complete contents of your device every time not just the changes as explained by SEE BELOW .......Of course a faster PC is faster than a slow one but I would say Home will still do it quicker

Hope this Helps Mate

(mikealder)

Start up Windows Explorer on your computer then plug the TomTom in to the PC with it switched on, it will ask about connecting to the computer, answer YES.

You will see another drive letter appear with a TomTom icon next to it, click this to open the drive letter associated with the device, in the right hand window of Explorer will be all the files and folders listed, simply scoop these up with the mouse so they are all highlighted, put the mouse of any of the files/ folders that are highlighted then right click and select "Copy"

Right click on your computer desktop and select New/ Folder name it TomTom_BackUp _12_03_10 right click on this new folder and select "Paste" this will copy the contents from the TomTom to the folder on your PC - Mike

And since Home's backup overwrites the previously saved backup, it wipes out a good backup with a faulty one if anything becomes corrupt on the unit.

That is why we say NEVER to use Home for backups (among other reasons). Any time saved by a Home backup will be more than lost trying to recover from a corruption on the unit.

Ask a Question