go920 and TT Home Backup

TomTom Model(s)
GO 920
With the go920 and TT Home Backup, does the backup do a backup of the Go Device and a backup of SD card that is inserted all at the same time??
...or do I have to switch device (ie. to the SD card) to backup what is on it separately? Thanks in advance.

I would NOT do any backups with Home at all. Instead, use Explorer. Make sure hidden files/folders are showing as are extensions for known file types.

Okay.....Use Explorer and highlight the drive reflecting the contents of the internal storage of the unit and copy that to a (meaningfully named) folder on your hd. Then, highlight the drive reflecting the contents of the sd card and back that up to a different folder.

I would NOT do any backups with Home at all. Instead, use Explorer. Make sure hidden files/folders are showing as are extensions for known file types.

Okay.....Use Explorer and highlight the drive reflecting the contents of the internal storage of the unit and copy that to a (meaningfully named) folder on your hd. Then, highlight the drive reflecting the contents of the sd card and back that up to a different folder.

I never use Home backups anyways but I just have to ask, have there been instances where Home fails to copy all the needed files? It's sad that we must fear TomTom's own product software to do something as important as a backup.

Not only instances where Home misses some files but instances where certain files got corrupted during the bu; further, there have been instances where the Home restore has failed.

Finally, as you know, Home's backups overwrite a previous backup unless you first play around with the tab showing Preferences-->File locations.

Much easier to use Explorer (or some other file manager) to simply create a folder with the name of your choice and then backing up to that location.

There are several ways of doing backup, some use Explorer (with SHOW all files), some use Tomtom Home, I personally use WinRAR to backup (and also compress).

If I may add my 2 cents... When using any compression bu program with TT files, all map .dat files are already compressed and some are rather large, one will greatly speed up the bu process by not compressing those .dat file extentions.

If I may add my 2 cents... When using any compression bu program with TT files, all map .dat files are already compressed and some are rather large, one will greatly speed up the bu process by not compressing those .dat file extentions.
I believe so, yes.

Good point! Forgot about that method.
Instead of using XP Backup/Restore or some other similar program, would it work by simply doing a copy of the whole TT tree (directory and sub directories) and paste it into my computer? Then if there is a problem with the TT device, simply copying the whole tree back onto my TT device?
(my hard drive is small- and don't have XP Backup/Restore program installed )

Instead of using XP Backup/Restore or some other similar program, would it work by simply doing a copy of the whole TT tree (directory and sub directories) and paste it into my computer? Then if there is a problem with the TT device, simply copying the whole tree back onto my TT device?
(my hard drive is small- and don't have XP Backup/Restore program installed )

Yes, your method described above called "using Windows Explorer with ALL files/folders SHOWN"

Okay, so I opened up my J: (Internal Drive) and my C: Drive, I created a new folder (TomTom Backup), and copied all the files over that I saw. Now I have no idea if that's what I was supposed to do? I can't seem to grasp what everyone is saying when they say to back up those files via using Internet Explorer or Windows Explorer? All I'm understanding is those files are important to back up before doing anything with "TomTom Home".

Was there something else I'm supposed to do?

It's Windows Explorer. You should now have in a folder on your c:\ drive with a bunch of folders (like 'asr', 'art', etc...) and a bunch of loose files not in a folder. This backup is your 'safety net' in case anthing goes wrong.

You should also make a backup (different folder on C:\) before and after any firmware upgrade.

Ask a Question