GO920 won't GO right

TomTom Model(s)
go920
I have a tomtom 920. The last time I used it, it would constantly mess up. It has been a long time since I used it prior. I was traveling from Baltimore to a motel in the burbs, it got me real close to the area of motel then ,sent me right back to Baltimore. Today I set it up to go to a store, I was on the way to the store and on the street the store was on. Three miles before I would have came upon the store, it sent me left
up into a residential area bringing me out on the same street passed the store and heading to the store in the opposite direction. I have tried holding down the start button for twenty seconds, and cleared the travel log menu to avoid confusion, this did not help. Is there anything I can do for this problem and is it typical of this model?

Nothing typical about that at all. First thing I would do is use Home to eliminate all of the Mapshare information from the unit. Then I'd start asking myself whether any of the local roads had changed since I bought the unit (2007?). What is the version of your map now?

I have no idea what home is/ Having never had a problem I never read the info; Now that I have, I tried to connect to computer. When tom tom asked if I wanted to connect to computer I signifies yes. What showed on the computer screen. tom tom drive f or something, wanting to know if I wanted to add music or photos or what not nothing about Home, or anything about cleaning out prior map info from device . Am I missing a crucial step to make this work?

First: Make a backup of your unit as it is now! The procedure is at this link: https://www.tomtomforums.com/t17864-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer-how-restore.html

TomTom Home is the application you install on your PC to work with your 920. My guess, also, is that this unit has 5-1/2 year old maps. That said, it also won't have any 'bad' Mapshare data on it since it's never been connected to the network.

For future reference, Home came on a disk with your unit, but that version would be WAY out of date now. Here is the link where you can obtain a current copy of that application: https://www.tomtom.com/en_us/mytomtom/getstarted/deviceselector.jsp
You want the option on the right that says "Download TomTom HOME".

After downloading and installing Home, it will respond when your unit is connected to your PC. This should also get you a file for a feature called GPSQuickFix as one of the updates (along with a lot of map update information). It will also get you a firmware update to version 9.XXX (you are likely now at 7.XXX).

Once the unit is updated, let us know how you are getting along. If you're still having issues after that, at least we'll have a good idea of the status of your unit. DO make that backup first!

I have tried holding down the start button for twenty seconds

For info... holding down the power button for 20 seconds will not do anything to a GO920. That's the reset method for NEWER models.

On yours you need to poke the tiny reset hole on the base with a blunt pin or unbent paper-clip.

I did find that tiny reset button, and reset the unit.
I have not tested the unit since resetting. I will today, if I
find the time today, to test it thoruoghly.
I assume that the above mentioned items listed for me to do on this old tomtom should still take place, as it has never been updated.

Trouble is, that I am in no way a person familiar with a computer, and how things like this work.

I can follow instructions, trouble there is, that when computer people give instructions on how to do something, they just assume that the little insignificant steps in between the really hard and important explained steps are known to everyone and need'nt be explained. So you see, I am like a child trying to understand nuclear physics.

I am now with my asus 700, with the instructions, in front. of me. And pc with tomtom. too. I have the pad so i. do not have to switch from instructions to what I am tring to accomplish and then back again, as my short term memory, is just that a memory.

Note, that when I fail at this I will get another, Tomtom, what would be a great replacement to this without, breaking the bank.

I am back from trying to accomplish the task to update and or fix my tomtom. It is not going to happen, after running in to my first snag and not being able to get passesd it, I looked ahead in the instructions to see the nexy potential snag. I found that there was no potential snags, but in fact definite snags, none that I would be able to overcome, and the next snags, each being more harder than the one before it.

I had thought the only way I could have this done, was if someone joined my. computer and took the controls, but then I saw where I would need external storage devices, hooked to my pc to store on and then knew even this solution, prividing i could find someone to consent to it would not work either.

I knew that I would not be able to update or fix things like this, that is why long ago when I bought this, I tried to buy the best, so I would not have to fool with buying another, now I find I should have bought a cheap model and replaced them every other year. Live and learn, I guess, live and learn.

Thanks for your help ang sorry for wasting, your time. I just thought maybe I could do this, stranger things have happened, just not for a long time.

You may be a bit confused by what you have read. You don't need an 'external storage device'. Your TomTom appears to your PC as though it were an external storage device (like a thumb drive) when you connect it.

The backup procedure is the bare minimum we need for you to perform. That should be reasonably straightforward. It does not require the installation of the Home program, only that you copy the content of your unit to your PC's hard drive somewhere (make a special folder on your PC for it) so that you have a safe copy of it as it is now. Let's at least work through that process since it is so important if there are any big malfunctions later.

So please try to back up your unit with the backup/restore link information we pointed you to, and if you get stuck with any of that, please let us know. One of our fellow moderators has done a pretty good job explaining the process in that link.

Sorry but I am not able even able to get the pc to recognize the tomtom even though unit asks if i want to connect to the pc

Are you using the cable that came with the device and are you using a USB port on the back of the computer?

When tom tom asked if I wanted to connect to computer I signifies yes. What showed on the computer screen. tom tom drive f or something,
OK, we established for a fact that your computer recognises your 920.

wanting to know if I wanted to add music or photos or what not nothing
Again, that is a good step as we know your TomTom and your computer communicate with each other.

I am now with my asus 700, with the instructions, in front. of me. And pc with tomtom. too.
Are you only using the ASUS 700 to see the instructions?
If yes, what Operating System is on the PC to which you connected the 920?
Something like Windows XP, Windows7 or Windows 8.

Next, please let us know which browser (e.g. Internet Explorer or Firefor or Chrome or ?) you use to connect to the Internet with the PC that has already recognised your 920 as an external storage device ! (when it called it Drive F: )

Please answer the above questions in separate paragraphs and in the meantime do not try to experiment on your own.
By your own words, let's do this step by step.

OK

Disconnect the USB cable between the PC and the 920.

In Chrome on your PC go to www.tomtom.com .
Click - Support
Click - How do I install TomTom HOME on my computer?
Click - Windows XP
Click - Download

then follow instructions.

It may be best again to keep those instructions on your Asus.
---

After Finish in the installation open the HOME software (most likely from a desktop icon or from the Start menu) then connect the 920 cable.

It now may say that HOME needs to update its system.
Since you never updated in over 5 years I do not know what you will see but, please don't click any OK until you have told us what has happened next.

I am at and away from the computer, some times at longer intervals. Please don't be encouraged if you don't get an immediate answer.

If you know how to make screen prints (or take photos of the screen) you can either post them here or send them as attachments to my eMail address (e-mail address removed) .

I am now on kindle since I could not respond with asus. Button pushing on co, reading on asus.. typing response on k. Fire what a world.

Have reached a point where it States installing. Tomtom home. Near 10 minutes now no install. Just green bars crossing screen

Done install....pick one....... launch tomtom home.......start. tomtom home when I connect gps.....or finish¿?¿????????

Let it run.
It may take an hour or longer.
Have supper or something, just don't get annoyed watching the screen.

When getting a map update (North-America ~3 GB) I have taken to start it before going to bed and find everything OK in the morning.

Screen I am on waiting instruction...select navigation. Device ......internal memory. G. Memory card. F. Select one or other

Botton of screens States no device connected even though I connected device and prompted it to connect. It made the two syllable. Sound signifing the connection made though

Ask a Question