Newbie question regarding backup vs copy in TomTom Home

TomTom Model(s)
GO 920
In version 240104 of TomTom Home, there are two choices in the main menud "backup" and "copy to computer".
What is the difference between the two. Isn't one a duplication of the other?
Why not just "backup"?
thanks
hasiel newbie

Backup is a complete copy of your device with all files and settings. It is actually better do do this with windows explorer rather then TomTom's backup, as users have had problems successfully restoring from these backup. Just make sure you have file views set to show all hidden files and folders.

Copy to computer is to save and have available specific items, like applications (you should save each current one so you could easily reload them if a new application causes problems). You can also use this to copy maps and other customized items like voices, color schemers, etc. that you have purchased and/or downloaded. This allows you to reload them individually without having to restore the entire unit.

'Backup' means that (in theory) everything on your unit gets backed up in one shot.

'Copy to Computer' would be a selective copy of items: like voices, images, etc.

Now then......while it IS adviseable to backup your entire contents to a folder on your hard drive, I strongly suggest you use Explorer, NOT Home, to do the backup. Make sure hidden files/folders are showing as are extensions for known file types.

Why do I say that? A couple of reasons......

1. Home's backup has been known to miss backing up some files and corrupting others during a backup process.
2. Whenever you use Home's backup, it OVERWRITES a previous backup. But, if you use Explorer, you can create a new folder on the pc to backup your unit's contents to whenever there has been a significant change. For example, you might want one complete backup using one firmware version (say, 7.481). Now, you upgrade the firmware to say, 8.010. You want to make a complete backup including the new firmware. But you'd want to put it in a different folder than the backup you made that included the earlier firmware.

Also, you may want to make a new backup when you upgrade your map. Again, you'd NOT want to overwrite a previous backup but, rather, put everything in its own folder on the pc.

Hope this answers your question.....

GAW........

How come you can say in half the words what I said (and probably explain it clearer than I as well)? :rolleyes: :eek:

GAW........

How come you can say in half the words what I said (and probably explain it clearer than I as well)? :rolleyes: :eek:

I don't have the patience you do, so sometimes I assume they understand where I am going but do not. The long chain on the bluetooth issue was a good example.....

'Backup' means that (in theory) everything on your unit gets backed up in one shot.

'Copy to Computer' would be a selective copy of items: like voices, images, etc.

Now then......while it IS adviseable to backup your entire contents to a folder on your hard drive, I strongly suggest you use Explorer, NOT Home, to do the backup. Make sure hidden files/folders are showing as are extensions for known file types.

Hey dhn- I have Windows Vista and I do not see an option to show hidden files. What do I do?? I know that my previous Windows XP did show that option. Thanx

Sorry, don't use Vista here. Somebody else will have to let you know about hidden files/folders in that O/S.

I'd swear I'd seen this addressed somewhere around here about 2 months ago. I couldn't find it here, either, so, here it is from somewhere else...

How to show hidden files in Windows Vista
Vista changed the location where you can modify the folder and file display settings. While before you could access these settings within any folder, in Vista you need to use the Folder Options control panel in order to modify how folders, and the files in them, are displayed.​
To enable the viewing of hidden and protected system files in Windows Vista, follow these steps:​

1. Close all programs so that you are at your desktop.
  2. Click on the Start button. This is the small round button with the Windows flag in the lower left corner.
  3. Click on the Control Panel menu option.
  4. When the control panel opens you can either be in Classic View or Control Panel Home view:

If you are in the Classic View do the following:
    1. Double-click on the Folder Options icon.
    2. Click on the View tab.
    3. Go to step 5.

If you are in the Control Panel Home view do the following:

1. Click on the Appearance and Personalization link.
    2. Click on Show Hidden Files or Folders.

3. Go to step 5.
  5. Under the Hidden files and folders section select the radio button labeled Show hidden files and folders.
  6. Remove the mark from the box labeled Hide extensions for known file types.
  7. Remove the mark from the box labeled Hide protected operating system files. Once this is done, your Folder Options screen should look similar to the following image.

vista_folder_options.jpg
  8. Press the Apply button and then the OK button.
Now Windows Vista is configured to show all hidden files.

Thanks Canderson- I forgot that I had posted the question about showing hidden files on Vista. I followed your steps and did anothere back-up to explorer and then viewed an old back-up and saw that there were several new files showing. Thanks again. Now I have a complete back-up in the event that my 740Live takes a tumble.

Ask a Question