HiFi bluetooth audio

What exactly does this mean? Is it for bluetooth headphones, or can my tomtom connect to a headunit that has bluetooth? If its for the head unit, how do I go about doing so?

After doing some digging, it looks like tomtom poorly implemented the audio streaming over bluetooth. There are others on the net who have had similar issues of the tomtom not seeing the stereos.

I had a few possible solutions. First was to use a bluetooth adaptor for a pair of logitech headphone i had. It connected to the audio out port on teh windsheild mount, and allowed me to have full control of the ipod through the tomtom display. The remote would also allow me to have basic volume controls, as well as to skip through the playlists with ease. This worked great for the first quick car ride, but afterwards it failed to connect back up to the head unit. While playing with the adaptor, i pressed the reset button a tad too hard, breaking the solder joint on the switch. I now need to see if i can fix it. This was a nice soultion, except for the fact that the adaptor requires a recharge every 8-10 hours of usage. I was going to see if i could hardwire it under my dash, but the broken swich took care of that idea.

The next solution was to purchase a WiRevo a10 bluetooth dongle for my ipod. This thing was a real POS. It had an internal battery, but could only be charged with a USB ipod cable, not an auto charger. The connector didnt clip into place and slid off really easily. I did get it working, but it was only playing the right channel of audio. This went back to microcenter.

I then found a motorola d650 iPod bluetooth adaptor at Bestbuy. This unit was nice because it was simply plug and play with the ipod. It drew its power from the ipod, therefore never needed to recharge. The downside is it doesnt have an input dock connector, so i cant charge my ipod while its in use. This paired up beautifully, had no distortion or interference, allowed me to control track+, track-, play, and pause from my head unit, and even turned off the ipod when my radio turned off.

I now have a wireless ipod connection in my vehicle that sounds MUCH better than a FM transmitter. The downside is I cannot control it through my tomtom. :(

The tomtom ipod software is buggy though, so maybe this is a good thing.

Ask a Question