Hi All...New TomTomOne owner today!

TomTom Model(s)
TomTomOne
Hi All...New TomTom One owner today! And a question...

I'm a navigation system virgin here and just received my new TT1 today and look forward to interacting with everyone.

This site is already paying dividends for me!! I wasn't able to figure out how to clear a route if I decided I wasn't going to travel it, so I came home, did a search on Google for TOMTOM Forums and had my question answered here in a matter of seconds!

I'm gonna peruse this site a little more and see what else I can come up with.

BTW, this may sound stupid but do I have the 3rd Edition?? All it says on the box is tomtom ONE US-CANADA and no mention of Version 3. When I look at the tomtom website, under products, there's tomtom one & tomtom one 3rd edition. Pricing is also different in that the 3rd edition is $50 less and tomtom one. Any info would be most appreciated.

Take care,

RS911

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

The easeist way to tell is if you have the Third Edition is to see if you there is no SD slot.

Thank you for the welcome. There is an empty SD slot on the bottom. Does that mean it's NOT 3rd edition? Should I purchase and SD memory card, what are the benefits?

Thanks!

Thank you for the welcome. There is an empty SD slot on the bottom. Does that mean it's NOT 3rd edition? Should I purchase and SD memory card, what are the benefits?

Thanks!

That's correct, you do not have the Third Edition.

The advantage of having an SD slot is being able to expand on memory storage for larger maps, more POI's, voices, 3rd party app's etc.

That's correct, you do not have the Third Edition.

The advantage of having an SD slot is being able to expand on memory storage for larger maps, more POI's, voices, 3rd party app's etc.

So does that mean he has Second Edition or what?

Greetings All;

I am new to the land of TomTom, I bought my refurb ONE earlier this week. I must say I am very impressed. I also have to agree that forum has been very useful to answer a lot of questions.

I do have one question which I haven't seen an anwer for regarding the SD slot. My ONE has the slot, but no card. Can a normal SD card be used? How does the ONE know that there is extra info on the card?

Thanks!

Hello and welcome!
If you want an SD card, trying getting a 2GB SD non-SDHC.
When the SD card is in the socket, it only read the SD card and ignore the internal flash memory.

Cool thanks,

I thik I will stick with the flash memory it seems to work ok. Good to know the flash is bypassed when there is an SD inserted!

Hello and welcome!
If you want an SD card, trying getting a 2GB SD non-SDHC.
When the SD card is in the socket, it only read the SD card and ignore the internal flash memory.
From what I've read, you really don't need an external memory card unless you have maps for a couple of countries. Is that wrong?

I assume you can use a SD card if you want to use more space than the internal memory. The card would contain the same information as the internal but still have more space.

I assume you can use a SD card if you want to use more space than the internal memory. The card would contain the same information as the internal but still have more space.
What would you put in the extra space if you have a ONE?

My understanding was that the 3rd edition ONE is the latest "ONE" model with an improved chipset and additional features like "share"

The 3rd edition is also typically selling for about $50 more than the older ONE models.

Have I been misinformed?:confused:

Hi I just bought a new Kingston 2 gb SD Card for my Tomtom one XL to increase the storage and I get an error everytime when the card is inserted in the Unit. How did you get yours to work. Is there a sequence to follow, looked in Tomtom support site and no luck there.:(

Hi I just bought a new Kingston 2 gb SD Card for my Tomtom one XL to increase the storage and I get an error everytime when the card is inserted in the Unit. How did you get yours to work. Is there a sequence to follow, looked in Tomtom support site and no luck there.:(

Welcome to the forum.

What you first want to do is backup your unit. This is the only way you can get a copy of your maps if for some reason in the future you happen to lose it.

In order to use the SD card, you need to copy the entire contents of the internal memory from the XL to the SD card.

The reason you get an error is everytime you insert an SD card into the XL, it disables the internal memory and looks at the SD card for the TomTom software. Inserting a brand new card will obviously be blank and so it can't load anything from the card.

One XL SD Card

Thanks Digital-Flex, followed your suggestion and "voila" no more error when the SD Card is inserted and lot of room for extras.

Ask a Question